Hawk Attack Again

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pinky, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    This morning is the second time a coopers hawk has attacked my chickens. Its first attack, about 3 weeks ago was successful. It ate the neck and head of one of my young hens that was getting ready to lay. Since then it has visited only to be scared away when I step out the back door. It came back 3 times the week of its kill, then disappeared until today. It always goes for the younger hens it seems like, and they are always the hens that free range. So far both attacks were at the property line with the hen pinned against my yard fence.
    It did not kill the hen today, but it would have if I didn't go around the corner of my house where it was sitting on her. The hen had no feathers plucked and no visible external wounds so I think the hawk just did pin her down when I got there. But she was bleeding from her mouth so I am thinking that means internal injuries?. I'm not sure if she will make it but she is standing and drinking water so far.
    Also I have about 5 grown roosters that also free range and they were all hiding under the porch. They are no longer considered useful and will be gone. The only reason I knew something was going on is because my turkey and guinea fowl were going nuts, not the roosters.

2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I am glad you saved your hen. Even though we know free ranging comes with a price, it is so sad when something happens to our babies.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    After we lost a hen to a bobcat we decided not to let our chickens free range anymore. We expanded their run, which they are happy with, and were safely lock in when the bobcat returned. I miss having them run around in the yard but don't want to lose anymore since they are our pets. Good luck.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Thanks for the support:)It is sad to loose one, especially when they are your favorite hens. It's hard to have a predator killing your birds and you can only lock your birds up because the predator is protected by law.
    The hen that got attacked today, laid an egg just now so I think she's ok. I'm going to keep them locked up for a while unless i'm out there with them. Supervised free range for now on.

Those coopers hawks are sneaky with their attacks. They vanish for a couple days making you think its safe for free ranging then its back.

5. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    When we lost our hen, the chickens were being supervised. My teenage daughter was outside with them. The bobcat jumped over our 6ft wood fence grabbed the chicken and was gone in seconds. We never let our chickens free range unsupervised. But we still lost one.

I hope you have better luck keeping the hawk away from your chickens.

6. nicktide

nicktide Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    I never let mine free range in the fall or winter for long. When I come home from work I will let them out for the hour or so that I am out there taking care of them and the rabbits. When dark comes they go to bed.

Supposedly, letting turkeys or geese range with the chickens will stop many attacks just because of their size. My neighbor has them together and no hawk attacks this year that I know of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by