Hawk attack, and how to calm the remaining chicken.

newchickenfam

Chirping
Feb 26, 2015
We have two backyard chickens, in an urban, but wooded area. They normally free range in our yard when we are home. I heard unusually loud chicken noises, and when I went outside a hawk flew off. It must have taken one of the chickens earlier, because I can only find one chicken now. She blew a lot of feathers, and is so super stressed. She is panting and spooked. I brought her inside to try and relax her. Any suggestions on how to help this girl out?

She does appear to have a cut on her side, below her wing. It is not bleeding, but there is a cluster of bloody looking feathers stuck to it. I haven't investigated too much because she is so freaked out. On a super happy note, I found our other chicken uninjured. We were in the backyard and she came out of hiding. Now safe in her coop. I have her in a cage and I will put her in a quiet area of house and monitor her. Should I bring the other chicken in as well, or leave them separate for now?

Hmm, I'm very sure on what you should do regarding keeping them together or leaving the uninjured one in the coop. I think I personally would separate them but I've never had only 2 hens before so I would gat a second opinion. Try and keep the injured hen calm, if you can tend to the injury. Has she eaten or had a drink yet? Make sure she eats and drinks (or can eat and drink).

She is not interested in food/water. I did try to syringe some water along her beak while she was panting, but she closed her mouth. I will offer her some more food and some water in a bit. Hopefully she settles a bit more by then and will eat. Thanks for your help. I'm so upset. Just glad that I heard her being attacked and could stop it.

I know how upsetting this experience is, I had a hen who I thought would die because the hawk had made a big gouge in her neck. At one point we thought she would be blind in on eye at least, but in less then a month she pulled through and healed completely. Don't worry about forcing food, just have it available. If she doesn't eat or drink for a long time then I would try and give her water. I hope she pulls through!

Thanks, glad to hear that your chicken pulled through! We are heading in to our cold season right now, so I am a little worried about her lack of feathers. Might have to knit her one of those chicken sweaters hahaha

Thanks, glad to hear that your chicken pulled through! We are heading in to our cold season right now, so I am a little worried about her lack of feathers. Might have to knit her one of those chicken sweaters hahaha
Those are real stylish for your hens this time of year!
wink.png

She seems to be doing better this morning. I kept her in the house overnight, and when I checked on her this morning she actually got up and clucked a bit and ate some food. She did start to pant when I picked her up to check her wound, so I think I'm just going to leave it be for now. I will try putting her back out with her sister later this morning and keep a close eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom