Hawk attack - broken neck?

janamacdon

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 14, 2016
Our little lady was attacked by a hawk yesterday. There were no puncture wounds, no blood, not even a scratch. Just a bunch of feathers on her back were plucked out. My husband chased the hawk away just in time. She was in shock - we separated her and we treated her with warm blankets and water with vitamins/electrolytes. She would only take what we would offer her through the syringe. She would keep reaching her neck back, but for the most part appeared stable with improvements this morning. Just now, we noticed that her neck appears twisted. I'm wondering if the impact from the hawk could have broken her neck? I've given her water with chewable aspirin, but she will reluctantly take it from the syringe. I have called the vet and can't get in until this evening. In the meantime, is there anything I can do for her?

Attachments

• Tansy1.jpeg
    Tansy1.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Tansy2.jpeg
    Tansy2.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Tansy3.jpeg
    Tansy3.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 29
It could be wry neck (torticolis, crookneck,) a neurological symptom from a neck or head injury. You can try giving some human vitamin E 400 IU and thiamine (vitamin B1) for a week or two to see if that helps. Make sure that she can get food and water, and feeding may be necessary. Here is a video on how to feed a bird with wry neck:

It could be wry neck (torticolis, crookneck,) a neurological symptom from a neck or head injury. You can try giving some human vitamin E 400 IU and thiamine (vitamin B1) for a week or two to see if that helps. Make sure that she can get food and water, and feeding may be necessary. Here is a video on how to feed a bird with wry neck:
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! She flipped her neck back around on her own and this hasn’t been a problem anymore. However, she is still only drinking when we dip her beak in water and she isn’t eating at all. It’s now been 4 days. I’ve tried scrambled eggs, chicken feed mash and cat food - she has only taken a few nibbles of oatmeal. I’ve crushed baby aspirin into her water and food, but she’s not really taking it. I’ve given her vitamins and electrolytes in her water, again only a few sips. Tonight I gave her a dose of nutri-drench for a boost. Mostly she just sleeps in her box we set up for her. We set her outside for a little bit each day thinking she might be depressed, but no change in behavior. I took her to the vet about 3 days ago and he seemed to think she would improve. No injuries that we could see. Does it just take time? I’m concerned she’s not really eating or drinking. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Try mixing meal worms with her food maybe that will pique her appetite. Gatorade is an option, she may go for it. Hopefully her appetite improves as she feels better. Let us know how she is doing.

Stir the apple cider vinegar into the water very little and give it through the mouth of the chicken. Keep the animal in a warm place. I hope he gets better.

I would just keep giving vitamins and watery food. Hopefully, she will improve with vitamin E and thiamine if she gets enough nutrition. Wry neck can be chronic and unpredictable.

Thank you all for your helpful responses! Just wanted to share a little update on Tansy. We have used a mixture of your suggestions and she is improving immensely. She is eating and drinking (mashed food, eggs, oatmeal, etc.), she's more talkative and more active. Moving about the yard supervised. She is still mostly separated from the flock unless we are right there with her. She appears to be visually impaired. I don't think she's completely blind, but she walks very cautiously, bumps into things and bites the air. I read that they can have some head trauma from the impact of the hawk, so I'm hoping that if there's swelling in her brain her vision will improve when that goes down. She appears to be on the up and up, and even if she has to live with a visual impairment, I've read about such chickens that still live happy, healthy lives. Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom