Hawk attack!!! Graphic pictures! Please help!

Feb 16, 2021
My chicken was attacked by a hawk. We came home and interrupted it happening. She was able to get away and into a bush. I got her out of the bush and brought her inside. She’s in a dog crate with towels and she’s in a quiet dark room. We washed her wounds with warm water and some peroxide. She has a few feathers missing and some scratches but the worst one is in her thigh/belly area. She is unable to put pressure on the leg and it’s a large hole. I’m going to attach a picture but it’s very graphic. The pic is during cleaning. We haven’t taken an updated one of it cleaned.

It’s day two, she’s been drinking water and eating. She’s pooping and laid an egg. We have been keeping the wound clean and dry and have given her a penicillin shot. the fact that she’s holding on is giving me hope but the wound is so bad. She’s a bit on edge obviously I’m sure she’s in pain. She’s not lethargic and she’s being her usual spunky self aside from not being able to move as easily as before.

does anyone think this is survivable? I want my girl to live and I’m trying everything I can to get her better but if I’m causing her more pain she needs to be put down. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
A very worried chicken mama.
2A099BA2-37BC-452D-9ADE-DF9837B52B87.jpeg

My chicken was attacked by a hawk. We came home and interrupted it happening. She was able to get away and into a bush. I got her out of the bush and brought her inside. She’s in a dog crate with towels and she’s in a quiet dark room. We washed her wounds with warm water and some peroxide. She has a few feathers missing and some scratches but the worst one is in her thigh/belly area. She is unable to put pressure on the leg and it’s a large hole. I’m going to attach a picture but it’s very graphic. The pic is during cleaning. We haven’t taken an updated one of it cleaned.

It’s day two, she’s been drinking water and eating. She’s pooping and laid an egg. We have been keeping the wound clean and dry and have given her a penicillin shot. the fact that she’s holding on is giving me hope but the wound is so bad. She’s a bit on edge obviously I’m sure she’s in pain. She’s not lethargic and she’s being her usual spunky self aside from not being able to move as easily as before.

does anyone think this is survivable? I want my girl to live and I’m trying everything I can to get her better but if I’m causing her more pain she needs to be put down. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
A very worried chicken mama. View attachment 2533160
I had an injured bird. Leg caught in a metal dog crate. She couldn't walk. I gave her one baby aspirin morning and night. Just pop it in her mouth. Keep the wound clean and I hope others will come along with more advice. Good luck.

Oof that looks bad . I would keep her warm and keep cleaning it . If you have a nearby vet that takes birds I would contact them . If you have disinfectant and bacitracin use that too . I think she could definitely make it sense she sounds like she is doing really well. Good Luck~ Cassie

Doesn't look good, but I am not an avian vet. We have had to sew up the tail of a chicken by with the oil gland exposed and on the head of chicken with 7 stitches, but nothing with that large of an area. The fact that she is eating and drinking and also laid an egg is good. I would keep it clean and spray it with Vetericyn that you can get online or at the local Tractor and Supply. It's hard to say if she will pull through or not as some of these hens can be very tough birds. Hoping for the best !! I might cover it with gauze and put ointment like polysporin on the gauze, but again we have done this with much smaller wounds that we were able to stich closed. So sorry for your poor little hen. I have a wonderful rooster that I am giving away for free who is a great protector of his hens. He has scared off several attacks from hawks along with our alpha Rooster. I just have too many roosters and not enough hens.

Survival is possible if an understanding of how to properly maintain wounds is met, and how to monitor to ensure she doesn't become emaciated/dehydrated, or sick from bacteremia.

The time span between when the wound occurred, and when it was initially treated is helpful in determining the bacterial load that may be present on the wound. If you were able to flush the wound soon after she was attacked, that will help lessen the chance of infection. Hydrogen peroxide, soaps, and antiseptics when not diluted down properly are damaging to the cells on the wound and will do more harm than good.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-chlorhexidine-solution-2-59297

I suggest a more thorough lavaging of the wound - using saline 0.9% sodium chloride, or chlorhexidine diluted down. Beforehand, try to puck some of the surrounding feathers around the wound that may later contaminate the wound bed. If plucking is not possible without tearing the skin, use scissors dipped in mineral oil so the feathers stick to the scissors rather than the wound. Effectiveness is sometimes less dependent on which product is issued, but more on how effectively the wound is flushed. An 18 gauge needle equipped with a syringe or a dawn soap bottle can be used to achieve a high PSI when lavage to help debris bacteria, or debris from the wound - a copious amount of fluids should be used.

http://www.geneticorigins.org/pv92/recipes.html

With a wound approximated on her underside, there are concerns continuous rubbing on the ground will impede epithelial migration, and degrade the skin further. Bandaging therefore may be indicated to prevent that from occurring. Before, the area should be packed with an ointment to help maintain a moist wound bed - manuka honey, SSD cream, hydrogel, or an antibacterial ointment would suffice. A non-adherent dressing such as a tefla pad can be placed directly over the wound, to secure the pad, wrap cast padding, or thick gauze around. The final bandage should consist of vet wrap to hold everything in place. The bandage should be changed daily, and must not be too tight, or too loose.

https://lafeber.com/vet/wound-management-in-exotic-animals/

Concerns of infection are apparent in which case you may consider ordering antibiotics online. I understand you have previously administered penicillin, but the antibiotic is widely ineffective for the bacterial infections encountered in poultry.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Attempt to keep her on soft grounds, approximated in a warm, dimly room, with feed, and water. Daily weighing on a gram scale is suggested to determine if supplemental feeding would be needed in the case her condition deteriorated. Consider offering her scrambled eggs, tuna for some protein.

I had an injured bird. Leg caught in a metal dog crate. She couldn't walk. I gave her one baby aspirin morning and night. Just pop it in her mouth. Keep the wound clean and I hope others will come along with more advice. Good luck.

Asprin is contradicted in cases where internal, or external hemorrhaging is possible due to the antiplatelet action Asprin possesses.

Survival is possible if an understanding of how to properly maintain wounds is met, and how to monitor to ensure she doesn't become emaciated/dehydrated, or sick from bacteremia.

The time span between when the wound occurred, and when it was initially treated is helpful in determining the bacterial load that may be present on the wound. If you were able to flush the wound soon after she was attacked, that will help lessen the chance of infection. Hydrogen peroxide, soaps, and antiseptics when not diluted down properly are damaging to the cells on the wound and will do more harm than good.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-chlorhexidine-solution-2-59297

I suggest a more thorough lavaging of the wound - using saline 0.9% sodium chloride, or chlorhexidine diluted down. Beforehand, try to puck some of the surrounding feathers around the wound that may later contaminate the wound bed. If plucking is not possible without tearing the skin, use scissors dipped in mineral oil so the feathers stick to the scissors rather than the wound. Effectiveness is sometimes less dependent on which product is issued, but more on how effectively the wound is flushed. An 18 gauge needle equipped with a syringe or a dawn soap bottle can be used to achieve a high PSI when lavage to help debris bacteria, or debris from the wound - a copious amount of fluids should be used.

http://www.geneticorigins.org/pv92/recipes.html

With a wound approximated on her underside, there are concerns continuous rubbing on the ground will impede epithelial migration, and degrade the skin further. Bandaging therefore may be indicated to prevent that from occurring. Before, the area should be packed with an ointment to help maintain a moist wound bed - manuka honey, SSD cream, hydrogel, or an antibacterial ointment would suffice. A non-adherent dressing such as a tefla pad can be placed directly over the wound, to secure the pad, wrap cast padding, or thick gauze around. The final bandage should consist of vet wrap to hold everything in place. The bandage should be changed daily, and must not be too tight, or too loose.

https://lafeber.com/vet/wound-management-in-exotic-animals/

Concerns of infection are apparent in which case you may consider ordering antibiotics online. I understand you have previously administered penicillin, but the antibiotic is widely ineffective for the bacterial infections encountered in poultry.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Attempt to keep her on soft grounds, approximated in a warm, dimly room, with feed, and water. Daily weighing on a gram scale is suggested to determine if supplemental feeding would be needed in the case her condition deteriorated. Consider offering her scrambled eggs, tuna for some protein.
Wow, you definitely have skills in this department. I’m throughly impressed. I know who to call on. Thank you for posting. Cheers

That looks bad. I’d wrap it up,

Sincerely,
A very worried chicken mama. View attachment 2533160
but I don’t know what else you could do.

Back
Top Bottom