Hawk attack- muscle showing

Best of luck to you. You might have to take a sterile needle and dig the feather out like a splinter.
So I get a few feathers here and there the film is so thick that is over them; I’m picking each time I go to doctor her but she gets so antsy I can’t do it all at once 😔 but the gash is so much deeper than I thought.. another graphic picture attached..

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 8
Do what you can, see if maybe you can restrain her for a little longer to get more done, and keep applying Neosporin or some other antibacterial agent. At this rate you might be better off getting a surgical scissor/scalpel and cutting/debriding them out depending on how close the feathers are to the actual raw wound.... it would be faster than trying to pick them out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/urgent-torn-skin-and-a-need-for-advice.1606092/

Here's a very similar thread to what you're going through. Might give you a little bit more direction...
Thanks that helped! The feathers are stuck to dead skin after cleaning tonight. I can’t get deep in that hole although I see stuff I’m not sure what it is, I would injure her more poking around I will finish cleaning dead skin tomorrow and hopefully cleaning and neosporin will heal her up in a few more weeks. She is staying in a cardboard box for the most part, getting out to stretch, walk, peek, eat and poop twice a day.

My LC went through something very similar. Her wound took a VERY long time to heal. I will attach my thread so you can see there is great hope for her. LC is back in the flock, but I can still see the "scars" of her ordeal. She molted recently, but still no feathers growing back from the injury. A note on taking her outside...if you are keeping her wounds covered in triple antibiotic (which you should be) you don't want sand getting to her.

You really do need to get the feathers free. Perhaps flushing a couple times a day with chlorhexidine is in order (careful with this, it is sold in super concentrated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-attacked-by-what-i-dont-know.1559978/

2 week update:
She seems to be doing great! She misses being outside, and her dust baths.

I let her out with the others under supervised watch only. Only the leader tries to pick on her. The rest she defends herself well.

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpeg
    IMG_1571.jpeg
    518.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 2
2 week update:
She seems to be doing great! She misses being outside, and her dust baths.

I let her out with the others under supervised watch only. Only the leader tries to pick on her. The rest she defends herself well.
She is looking great! I hope she returns to her flock sooner rather than later!

Back
Top Bottom