Hawk attack my chicks

outofthereality

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Hello, unfortunately my hen who had her got attack but something. My hen who is deceased and her chicks (only 3 left) were recently attack by another animal! A hawk! Lucky my other hens and the 2 chicks ran and hide but one chick hid but got attack. I don’t know if she’s in shock and most likely in pain. She’s not eating atm and it’s attach to me. Is there anything I can do for her to feel better or for her to be normal chick? All she wants to do is sleep

Attachments

• B4C34B89-D4B5-4B0B-9C10-E0F9EFCDF2FB.jpeg
    B4C34B89-D4B5-4B0B-9C10-E0F9EFCDF2FB.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 5BB87A95-EA63-4ABC-B396-D68900E8EA37.jpeg
    5BB87A95-EA63-4ABC-B396-D68900E8EA37.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 11
  • ED6A5AFB-D787-4D44-AF45-8CF8BDA798D2.jpeg
    ED6A5AFB-D787-4D44-AF45-8CF8BDA798D2.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 12
Poor baby. If you don't see any obvious injury she may just be in shock. It's a good idea to keep her isolated so she won't get picked on. You can also tell if she is eating or drinking if isolated.
I usually bring them in house. Hawks are a problem for smaller chickens. I let mine free-range only when full grown. I have dogs that protect my chickens too.

Poor girl! I'd agree she's probably in shock.

At this point, after 2 attacks, I'd be looking in to weaknesses in my coop/run. Can you describe your setup? Do your birds free range?

I live half the year in florida where bald eagles are more of a problem then hawks. I try to only let hens out when dogs are out. They are pretty wily and stick to cover. if I'm going to be gone long I lure them back to run with food.. They also listen to the crows. In MA I have a lot of trees and bushes. In both spots their run has bird netting on top so they can eat in peace.
I've seem them cower for like two hours when a bald Eagle got close. I only lost one bird to a red tail in past 14 years and she was at least 10. I also use market umbrellas in their runs. It keeps the netting up high and provides shade and cover.. its a risk, locked up chickens may be safe but they are also fat lazy dullards.. I don't have roosters either. The oldest hen is in charge scanning the skies.

Poor girl! I'd agree she's probably in shock.

At this point, after 2 attacks, I'd be looking in to weaknesses in my coop/run. Can you describe your setup? Do your birds free range?
We had an enclose coop where we wired around for top and bottom! We noticed a small entrance and a dead mom hen. It seems a fox came in and try to take a chick and the mother ran after her and got killed in trying to save her. We let them free range (with their mom) and along the crops and other chickens we had. They were few hours apart when it happen. I have dogs too since it’s Georgia and very humid/hot I can’t let them out all day and this happen when no one was home. Only 3 survive, I decided to keep them inside until they’re bigger to roam with the other hens

I live half the year in florida where bald eagles are more of a problem then hawks. I try to only let hens out when dogs are out. They are pretty wily and stick to cover. if I'm going to be gone long I lure them back to run with food.. They also listen to the crows. In MA I have a lot of trees and bushes. In both spots their run has bird netting on top so they can eat in peace.
I've seem them cower for like two hours when a bald Eagle got close. I only lost one bird to a red tail in past 14 years and she was at least 10. I also use market umbrellas in their runs. It keeps the netting up high and provides shade and cover.. its a risk, locked up chickens may be safe but they are also fat lazy dullards.. I don't have roosters either. The oldest hen is in charge scanning the skies.
I wired my coop but it seems a fox was able to get into a small hole. Yesterday I went to use zip ties to secured each small hole that could be a threat to them. I saw where the fox made their entrance and took a chick. We have trees and a deck where they go under to hide and crops too where they can go hide as well. They usually run into their coop when they spot a hawk or under the deck. We can’t have rooster due to the complaints of neighbor. Only hens.

I agree with the others, she is probably in shock. Maybe you can give her something like Sav-A-Chick. It may help her and give her a boost. Good luck...
Save-A-Chick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom