Hawk Attack on month old chick, right breast muscle gone, advice needed *graphic pic*

I found what I was looking for, and part of the crop is missing. I am going to have to let her go, there is nothing I can do. I like to try and help them as long as they are fighting too, but it would just be prolonging the inevitable and therefore cruel in this case I think.
I am sorry to drag you all into this too, but thank you for your help and support.

So sorry that you're going through this. You did great, and we were all pulling for you! It was very brave of you to try to tackle that! Sometimes there's just nothing that can be done.
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear this :( I think you are making the right decision though, I'm not sure it would be fair for an animal to live such a way for so long.

Well, she is a he, and he made it!
When my husband came home we went out to put him down, and while I was showing my husband the crop my son brought a little dish of food and water and held it up to him, he was so hungry and thirsty and ate and drank, but of course it just ran right out onto the ground. But he tried and tried. My husband and I talked it over and we decided to superglue what was left of the crop closed and see if he could eat. I flushed the eaten away area and all around where the skin had pulled back to the uneaten parts. I didnt pick at it though, the leaves and sticks and feathers had formed sort of a scab, and aside from some twigs and stems I left it alone. Then I slathered all of it with triple antibiotic ointment. Over the next few days there was an odor and it looked green/ grey in places plus he seemed a little worse so I gave him an injection of Pen G under the skin, and another one in two days. The infection cleared up and he perked up quite a bit. After a week the detached skin around the edges of the wound was pink and growing. I kept him in the house in a dog crate for another 2 weeks, with trips outside for fresh air and sunshine, and to visit with the other birds.
This is him then:

And now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom