Hawk attack puncture wound treatment question — ASAP

NewYorkMama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Hello! My 3-5 year old Orpington (she’s a rescue so don’t know her exact age) was attacked by a predator bird of some kind today. He must have dropped her — she’s big! We have lots of hawks. Eagles too but we don’t think an eagle would have dropped her.

We found her deep in the brush & carried her inside. after clearing away the dirt, sticks, feathers, and blood, we discovered a few puncture wounds and several more superficial cuts. I cleaned well with Vetrycin spray. Put a little neosporin on the more superficial cuts, and laid a nonstick pad with betadine over the wound. She’s currently resting in a dog crate inside surrounded by towels, blankets.

She is able to stand but doesn’t choose to. Her eyes are open and she’s generally alert. When we first rescued her she was breathing heavily, beak open, kind of gurgly & labored. Her breathing is quiet now. She isn’t eating or drinking on her own but she will peck her beak together when I dip it in water so she’s getting a little liquid. I got chick electrolytes for her water. She’s not interested in blueberries — her favorite. :(

Is there anything else I can do? Should I put neosporin on the puncture wound? Should I leave it open to the air or covered?

She doesn’t seem terribly uncomfortable but I don’t know. I feel so helpless.

Here’s a photo before treatment. I don’t want to disturb her to take any other photos.

Attachments

• D4B84049-3863-479E-938D-6E55FD76C754.jpeg
    D4B84049-3863-479E-938D-6E55FD76C754.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 84

Back
Top Bottom