Hawk Attack Today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CaitlynNichols, Feb 18, 2011.

1. CaitlynNichols

CaitlynNichols Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Newfields, NH
    For the first time in 2 years my mother and I witnessed a hawk attack on our very own porch steps. My mother was in the kitchen when she heard a cry outside, went to go check on the girls to see what was going on and there it was...a huge gray hawk with it's claws hooked on one of our Ameracauana's tail. Apparently the hawk was trying to get her out from underneath the porch steps and that was when my mother and I saw it and the hawk eventually flew off after we caught it in the act.

The good news is that there were no casualties, and we're lucky for 2 things of course that for her to be underneath the porch step was a good advantage and also that we caught it before it would do any more harm. My father told me once a hen is caught underneath the claws of a hawk it's game over, and we're so blessed she got away with no injuries and cuts; just a few feathers are missing from her back right where the tail starts. The last hawk attack we had was 2 years ago, we lost a silkie in that devastation.

The hawk came back an hour later to find it's dinner to only be discouraged when it couldn't find it, right in the very spot too. Hawks are evil, aren't they? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tomorrow my father, brother and I are going to check on the hen again to be sure she has no injuries, although when I checked earlier today she was walking around normally but just shaken from the attack. All I can say is she is one lucky bird. [​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so glad everyone is ok, Good work to you and your mother. [​IMG]

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Glad to read there was a place to run,and she made it. My hens always have one eye to the sky,and run into the chicken shed when they get spooked. The other day a turkey vulture came in low for a look,and they all scattered making a beeline for the shed. I hear many hawks,but have yet to have them attack since last fall.

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    You were lucky! The redtails here swoop in and take their heads off before they know what happened.

5. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    How big of a chicken can hawks carry? I've seen them flying around here, but maybe the hawks around here are a little too small to pick up one of my plump hens. I'm hoping anyway.

I'm torn because I love hawks too - they're beautiful. But there are plenty of mice around, I'd appreciate it if they'd stick to mice. Nature's Cheerios, as my husband says.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Maximum load usually about 1/4 to 1/3 weight of hawk so most large fowl too big to carry. Some will still tackle, often successfully, animals larger than themselves and eat what they can on the spot.

7. CaitlynNichols

Mar 29, 2010
    Newfields, NH
    My brother checked on the girl this morning and she is doing absolutely fine. [​IMG]

I looked up in our bird book what kind of hawk it could of been and I am torn between a Northern Goshawk and a Gyrfalcon. I am assuming that it could have been a Gyrfalcon because I don't remember the bird's eyes being pale orange like those of a Goshawk - they were very dark in color. Then again, a Northern Goshawk is a pretty big bird compared to a falcon because this one was big, so I can't be certain yet what it is. If only I had taken a good photo of it...

8. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    It must be the time of year. Hawks hawks hawks everywhere! I'm soooooooooooooooo glad everything turned out ok.

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I'm glad you chicken is ok. I nearly lost my RIR rooster the same way. A redtail was trying to get him as he tried to get under the porch steps. My dad ran him off and the rooster is fine now.

10. CaitlynNichols

Mar 29, 2010
    Newfields, NH
    Good to hear your RIR turned out to be okay. Apparently we have some "whimpy" roosters (cause naturally their instincts are to protect the girls from harm) Our two boys decided to hide in the branches of a bush instead of doing something about it. LOL. I guess you can't really rely on the boys all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by