Hawk Attack - Wobbly Neck

LOL...Xena the Warrior Princess, I like that, I'll have to keep it on the down low I'm pretty sure Peep would be a little jealous...LOL..

Wow you have done a remarkable job looking after chick. From the photos she looks so much better. We had a fox attack about 6mths ago and lost 3 chooks and nearly lost another. One of our girls was badly injured around the neck. You could are the bruising, I thought she would most certainly die but my daughter was determined to nurse her back to health. With lots of love Jett pulled through. It took months before she could stretch down to eat food or pick up scraps. It is still very noticeable that she had a neck injury as it just looks off side. But she lays an egg a day now and has come up in the pecking order funnily enough. Good luck with chick, hope she continues to improve :)

Thanks, glad to hear your chick pulled through, I didn't think our girl would make the night but here she is...

UPDATE:
DAY 14 after attack
Well 2 weeks after being nursed in the house, she is walking around kitchen...that last poop on the floor (wandered off the puppy wee wee training pads) was enough, out on the back porch for awhile.
All was going well, she walks slowly a little deliberately, head/neck cocked to the left, bent really. She is not confident doing things like jumping off step or trying to get up a step.
She sort of fell off the deck to where the other two hens are hanging out.
It was only a few minutes until there was a dust up. Little Chick (she's just finishing up her molt so she looks little) is running back to the coop.
I look under the deck and Chick (Xena) goes after Peep...there goes Peep running back to the coop...

Peep and Little Chick eventually came back and all was well under the deck.
As darkness approaches Peep and Little Chick head back to the coop and Chick (Xena) is roosting under the deck...so I bring her back in for the night.

Next day, I put her outside in the morning, theres a little dust up again but they all seem to be getting along as usual.
Night comes and she heads to the coop with the other two.
The boys check on her after dinner, they said she was shivering in the cold, so they brought her in for the night.

Follwing day, Same routine as the day before but this time when the boys check on her they say she is fine, no shivering. She sleeps in the coop with the other girls.

Day 21
Its hard to see anything wrong...wife can't tell who's who....I don't see how thats possible they all look so different to me.
Anyway, 3 weeks after and she's definitely doing really well, back at the top of the pecking order in fact.
A few feathers missing but doing really well...

Last edited:
Thanks, we are too, its great to see her at the top of the pecking order and all the girls
happy again...!

Wow! I love this website so much! We had a hen that was just grabbed by a Hawk yesterday, and her neck looks the same! We thought she was going to die then and there! Thought her neck was broken and she was gasping. Well she didn’t die...we were going to cull her, but I came here to see what to do! She is still alive..and we have hope. The problem with her is that she’s 20 weeks but looks like she’s 6 weeks old...so she is not a strong chick to begin with. She is our kids favorite though because she’s so tiny...her name is Tiny, lol. How’s xena now years later?

Back
Top Bottom