Hawk Attack

May 7, 2020
Vancouver, WA
Unfortunately, I lost my first chicken to a hawk today. I arrived too late and the hawk had already taken her away.

I am curious to know if there is any special care or attention I should take for my remaining flock.

Unfortunately, the chicken that was taken was also really close flockmates with the other started Pullet I bought along with her so she’s been chirping for her. I am concerned because the other 6 of 7 birds are really close but the other bird was really close with the one we lost to the hawk. Any advice?

Pen them up unless out with them. I have lost some to hawks in the past. I have been using variations on the chicken tractor to provide benefits of free-ranging. I like chicken tractors better than even large covered runs. You can train the chickens using treats to come out or go back in as needed.
Good to know. Thank you for the advice. Hard lesson learned.

If you add to the flock buy chicks with a gosling and raise them together the goose will protect them when there older or buy a couple of guniea fowl a really good alarm system

@ILIKEDUCKS
Thank you for the advice. I am looking to replace the speckled Sussex Pullet I lost to have it bond with the other Sussex Pullet I have in the flock as they were really close. Would you recommend introducing either a gosling or a guinea fowl when I introduce another 4 month old Speckled Sussex Pullet to the flock? What would you recommend over the other?

@ILIKEDUCKS
Thank you for the advice. I am looking to replace the speckled Sussex Pullet I lost to have it bond with the other Sussex Pullet I have in the flock as they were really close. Would you recommend introducing either a gosling or a guinea fowl when I introduce another 4 month old Speckled Sussex Pullet to the flock? What would you recommend over the other?
I would raise the gosling from little with a chick or the goose wouldn’t really care much but with Guinea fowl you can introduce them as adults and they would help a lot but you would have to pen them for at least a month before you start free ranging them

Back
Top Bottom