Hawk attack!

Tranquilgarden

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
I made the mistake of not latching the door (it sticks) when I left for 2 minutes to get clean the water canisters. On my way back my (Queen chick) Molly was screaming like rooster and then I saw the hawk in the enclosure..(My brave MolMol was fighting the darn Hawk). I noticed two of my babies lying inside one of the coops and went into mommy mode with the broom. My coops are in an enclosure that is completely netted and i could not figure how the Hawk got in, the door was closed when I got to the chickens. I let (2) out to hide in the garden Molly got all the rest most of them safe in the coops boxes. The hawk was freaking out hanging from the netting trying to get out as I swatted it. I left the door open so I could get it to fly out. He looked at me I looked at him and he knew if he did not leave it was curtains.
I did get him out of the coop, one of my twins Easter egg er babies was gone. I thought the other was too but she was breathing, she had a small hole in the top of her head and a wound in her side. She could not stand she flopped over with her eyes closed. I warmed her made up a box, and put her under a warming light. Treated her wounds, I thought she would not live through the night ; but she did, I used a dropper to giver her water and tricked her into eating some crumble with water.
At this time we got to giver her a better exam. I did not want to do it the day before because of the trauma. I noticed a purple clot under her skin and removed it using wound spray for the scratches and punchers. She seems to be healing very well. We are on Day (3) but she still can not stand. She is eating and chirping, her legs are both moving. Can anyone give me some advise as to what may be wrong. Does she just need rest time from the trauma of being grabbed. Never again will I leave the door unlatched. Dam wind!

Attachments

• 20210921_194205.jpg
    20210921_194205.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom