Hawk attack

SusanMc

Songster
Jul 28, 2020
BC 🇨🇦
A fatal Hawk attack happened here yesterday. It broke My heart as I had only just opened the coop door to feed and water, it was warm and I couldn’t stop them from coming out to peck. By the time I was walking back to the house through the orchard she was there dead.
I read about using a statue or a couple of geese, and hanging cd in the area.
Does anybody have any comments. It’s a large red tail who has tasted one of my hens, now it will return. I’m angry, sad, took 3 hours with a bird scare gun to get it to leave.

Leige rooster ?

I think the best bet is to get an enclosed run. They get used to statues and CDs are ugly (in my opinion, I would rather not hang those everywhere).

Yea not sure they have always been free rangers, but maybe for the winter til these birds 🦅 move away. I’m suspecting they are seasonal. I agree about cds and statues, but I would try anything so my girls and roo could free range.

Goose protector?

Yea not sure they have always been free rangers, but maybe for the winter til these birds 🦅 move away. I’m suspecting they are seasonal. I agree about cds and statues, but I would try anything so my girls and roo could free range.

Goose protector?
Sorry, but I have never had a goose. My flock was attacked at the end of 2020 by a hawk. I didn't change anything except watch them much more closely. They still free range and I still watch them. We have had close calls, but never lost another bird. We do have cockerels and roosters that come and go though. And I have a dog that is very keen with watching them.

Sorry for your loss. Free ranging is a risk you take and you will loose birds sooner or later. Lessons learned the hard way. Now my birds have nice large covered pens. I do see hawks but they can't get to my birds and my birds are very happy in their pens. When I have let them out they may come out for a few minutes but before long they all go back into their pens which I think they feel is their safe place. My land is mostly open pasture. There are ways to entertain the birds even in pens. Good luck...

I lost one of my girls to a hawk this week as well. I have two roosters, reflective streamers hanging everywhere and a dog who protects the girls from hawks when he is out there and I still lost one. They are quick and unfortunately there isn’t much you can do but keep them inside in a run or coop. My girls u e been locked up all week and I’m miserable and I am sure they are too. It really sucks to be honest. Sorry for your loss.

I lost one of my girls to a hawk this week as well. I have two roosters, reflective streamers hanging everywhere and a dog who protects the girls from hawks when he is out there and I still lost one. They are quick and unfortunately there isn’t much you can do but keep them inside in a run or coop. My girls u e been locked up all week and I’m miserable and I am sure they are too. It really sucks to be honest. Sorry for your loss.
We had a near miss with a hawk a couple weeks ago and now one of our Wyandotte has gone missing today. I feel the same way. Even though it’s a large run, they pace in front of the door waiting for me to let them out. They are definitely happier free ranging but it feels risky to let them out. Not sure what to do. I hope the hawk risk is more of just a winter threat.

We had a near miss with a hawk a couple weeks ago and now one of our Wyandotte has gone missing today. I feel the same way. Even though it’s a large run, they pace in front of the door waiting for me to let them out. They are definitely happier free ranging but it feels risky to let them out. Not sure what to do. I hope the hawk risk is more of just a winter threat.
I still have my girls locked up. It’s awful, but I can’t take the chance. We had 2 close calls 2 days in a row and the third day the hawk got one. She was under a tree right next to the coop. She should have been safe. It’s kinda like going in the ocean. You could get bitten by a shark but you wouldn’t go into shark infested waters. I feel right now it’s hawk infested more than there’s a chance it could happen. I really want an LGD. I think it’s the only way they can be safe. Otherwise I have no ideas to be able to keep them safe.
I sure hope you find your girl. Hopefully she’s just hiding. It’s a horrible thing to lose your pets.

I had a fatal hawk attack yesterday as well. I moved the dead hen to the side of the coop while I was looking for the other birds (they had all fled into the woods), came and found the hawk trying to steal the carcass! Have never seen a hawk so aggressive and have been here for 12 years. What the hell.

Back
Top Bottom