Hawk attack

I couldn't disagree with this more, after the Hawk killed our Rooster and as you can see in my avatar he was no small rooster he went under the coop where they were hiding and was trying to kill a Hen luckily I got there in time.. In our Country experience either you cover your run or expect causalities.
Keep a few birds for more than a few years to let patterns, not a single event dictate your judgement.

I converted a shed into a coop and I have another raised coop. When the hawk landed all but two of the chickens were in the shed hiding, Two were under the raised coop. When one of them ran for the shed the hawk attacked but just took off a few feathers, she got in the coop. I caught it all on my backyard camera. Unfortunately I cannot cover their run.
Hoping the reflective tape helps, but, I will most likely get a cockerel
If you can't cover their run with a solid cover, would netting be an option? We have this netting and it is amazing! Heavy weight and very easy to work with.
https://pinnonhatch.com/poultry-supplies/p/heavy-knotted-poultry-netting-2mesh

I know this is going to get laughed at but I live on a River with Hawks and Eagles. I don't have a rooster but I do have a fake Rooster, fake Eagle and fake Owl on 3 different corners of my coop and run. They seem to work.... :idunno
I have a fake owl on the coop and my ladies have endured 3 red tail hawk attacks. My smaller lady was hit twice. If the weight of a heavy hawk lands on your hens at high speed, let nature happen - the hawk will dig in their talons and cause internal bleeding and likely break bones. I hate to see suffering and I would not try to save another hen. Last week another hawk came but he was not able to land on the chicken. He just traumatized her and all her feathers came out.

I had a very large hawk or eagle land on the roost in my run and then tried to take one of my girls away. I saw him land and ran outside in time to scare it away but it almost got one. I cannot cover my yard, i have hung flashy tape and wind chimes. I was considering getting a rooster.

How do I introduce a rooster to my hens and should I get one younger or older than my girls. Most of my hens are a year old, but four of the nine are 7 months.

locally I can get a free rhode island red that is 8 months old or a 5 month old easter egger

any advice welcome
I got a RIR at 7 months old and slowly introduced him to my 6 New Hampshires hens which are about 2 months older than him at the time--and it took no time before they were all following him around - sometimes he follows them because they are faster than him when it comes to food...but theres no question that in a couple of months he has become flockmaster. If you get one I hope its a good one! good luck!

Thanks for your input on this--had no idea the hawks could kill a rooster (mine is big) but I worry b/c Ive heard and seen hawks around but our chickens don't seem to be scared. I will definitely be more vigilant from now specially as winter comes around and everything is looking for food.

I have a fake owl on the coop and my ladies have endured 3 red tail hawk attacks. My smaller lady was hit twice. If the weight of a heavy hawk lands on your hens at high speed, let nature happen - the hawk will dig in their talons and cause internal bleeding and likely break bones. I hate to see suffering and I would not try to save another hen. Last week another hawk came but he was not able to land on the chicken. He just traumatized her and all her feathers came out.
Sorry to hear. Hawks are only heavy at high speed, unless you have bantams. The hawk that came at my girl the other day was floating down and completely missed the opportunity because I think it was inexperienced.

They could be easily over powered by a large breed rooster or hen. I'm sorry hennanny we win some we lose some. Maybe your boy got caught off guard from behind. It's like UFC, chickens are ground fighters and hawks have the high ground until they don't.

I would say remove their element of surprise, provide plenty of cover, and hopefully your new roo does his due diligence and takes one for the team or stomps the ish out of the next one that tries.

Now if it's an eagle forget it....

Back
Top Bottom