1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk Attack!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hot2Pot, May 19, 2011.

1. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I had my Kawasaki Mule loaded up to feed the goats, started down the hill and got a premonition something bad was happening. Just then i heard one of the juvenile Polish scream as a hawk flew off with it! I tried to follow down the trail, but the hawk disappeared into the trees. I returned to the scene of the crime, and there were black feathers all over from a young black orpington that lay dead on the ground. I guess the hawk was unable to fly off with the bigger orp but the little polish was perfect take out chicken! Those little polish are so sweet, they come and sit on my feet when i am filling their feeder. I feel so helpless, unable to help the poor thing in the clutches of that bird! I am thinking i need a shotgun. Those chickens were just feet from their tractors, i let them out to enjoy the beautiful sunny day. Big mistake. It was a very sad day for me :'(

2. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Ive had my probs with coopers hawks, vicious little things, just killed for sport

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Gosh I'm sorry that happend to you. I can't imagine going out in my yard and seeing a hawk take off with one of mine.[​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I am so sorry this horrible thing has happened. Lots of hugs to you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] Oh how awful. Seems always to be either our favorites or the sweetest ones. I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

6. guineahen14

guineahen14 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    I HATE hawks, what a horrible thing for you to witness, the poor chickens don't have a chance. I have had hawks land in my yard and chase my chickens on the ground. I now have my chicken yard crisscrossed with fishing line and part of it has heavy netting. Even with the fishing line you have to be careful because some hawks learn to get thru it. I am very sorry for your loss.

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Thanks to you all for your support. Now the chickens are going to have to stay cooped up in their runs. Better than being killed, but I do love to watch them running around.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So very sad. Heartbreaking to think of the terror a defenseless bird must feel when carted off by a hawk....[​IMG]

You're smart to put everybody in lockdown since hawk will continue to return when hungry.

JJ

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  9. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont have enough tractor coopage, as as a result have lost 2 of my favored juvie Buff Orps, I think to Hawks from an open topped circle of wire. We can see at least 4 Hawks cirlce from time to time on air patrol. The 15 Chicks have various pet carriers and tubs to house in. Sorry for your loss. We leave the chicks out some when we are there watching form a lawn chair, enjoying their antics. The Hawks get lower but dont come in when the BIG DOG, the Dane, is out, or us. We know they will try eventually, but we are working to get secure cover for all our birds.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

An idea I'm trying is a old 8' round TV dish that I stripped clean, turned upside down and set on a short post so the edges are about 18" off the ground. It gives some sun shade on hot days and the birds can see thru it but still gives the birds a place to hide under. If the hawk has to land to walk under it (unlikely he will as he looses his advantage) then the chickens can outrun it or your rooster has the advantage and a chance to whoop some feather. I did this last year but the snow load broke it off the post so I'm waiting for the ground to thaw to try again so meanwhile it's sitting on 3 milkcrates and the birds are enjoying the shelter and shade. Another nice thing is when on the crates, you can move it around the field.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by