Hawk attack

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
I've had chickens for about 6 years and today I lost my first hen to a hawk. I let my hens free range in my backyard during the day. This morning I looked out and saw the chickens acting funny, so I went out to check it out and the only chickens I saw were under the grape vines in the back of the yard. The backyard is about 3/4 acre. I then saw one of my Buckeyes laying on the ground dead. I heard the hawks before I saw them. There were 3 of them. I guess I scared them off before they could eat the hen. All of the chicken are now in the run and most are under the coop, even the ducks. I guess that is the end of them free ranging and I now need the put netting over the run.
somad.gif

Sorry for your loss. 6 yrs is a long time. Hawks are bad right now. I have been keeping my girls in the run a little more every day. Right now they are roaming my backyard and I keep looking out the windows.
fl.gif

Yep, I have 4 dogs. I think that they were on the deck and this happen behind the coop so they couldn't see it. I don't know if they were hunting together or not, but their were 3. One sitting in the pine tree and 2 flying.

Hi, I had my first hawk attack after 4 years. It was a 12 week old that I had put in an open pen for fresh air. Since then, my free range chickens will not come out in the open. The yard has been so quiet, they are all in the bushes.

Back
Top Bottom