1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk deterent?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by my5hens, Feb 21, 2012.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    My poor babies!

I came home from school today and heard a strange sound coming from the backyard. I went out there and all 4 of my girls were out in their run screaming at a fat *** cooper hawk sitting on my son's playset, starring down at them.

I shooed the hawk away but my girls were so scared the rest of the afternoon. They kept looking up at the playset where the hawk had been, and one went into the coop and wouldnt come out.

I hate to see my girls freaked out. This is probably the same hawk that was here earlier in the week. I wish he'd leave my girls alone.

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    You should build a house for Purple Martins. Those birds will chase away hawks and crows.

You can also use gourds. Just cut holes in them and hang them with wire. You can look up how to make them on the Internet.

3. JenellYB

JenellYB Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! i didn't know purple martins would do that! Would be great if it works..have you used it or seen it work?

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Nows, the time to put the house up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by