Hawk Deterrent

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bobbimarks, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Bobbimarks

Bobbimarks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    We just lost our first chicken...a hawk got it a couple days ago. And of course it was one of my favorite ones!

Any recommendations for hawk deterrent?
    Is fishing line enough? What about plastic poultry netting? Or some camoflaughe netting?

The hawk is certainly not shy, it flew right up to my house to try to pick off a second bird. It got a few feathers, but that was it.

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    If you have hawks then free ranging birds is not an option. There really isn't much deterrent. What you can do is cover your run with bird netting or wire, Hang CD's from trees to distract them, have bushes, low trees, or pallets on top of bricks that the birds can run and hide under, or keep them in chicken tractors that you can move daily in order to still be "free ranging".

I have hawks flying over head several times daily. After losing one of my chickens to a hawk my runs have wire on top and haven't lost anymore since.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  3. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Same with me. I only have 4, so losing one is not an option.[​IMG]
    This daytime outside area is connected via a chicken tunnel to my coop and run.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It'll be back...keep 'em locked up for week or so.
    Why I built this.....had one strafing the run and yard multiple times yesterday but it couldn't get at the chooks, so went elsewhere
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by