HAWK FLOCK ATTACK!

Jul 13, 2018
Southern California
Hey, guys I have a kind of have a problem. About a week ago, I was free ranging the hens when a hawk came and attempted to grab my black naked neck. He/she tried to pick her up, but she was too big thank goodness. So, for the next few days when I free ranged them, I would watch all of them, do a head count every ten minutes and watch the skies for hawks. Whenever, I saw a bird circling the sky I would rush them back to their coop. Well, just yesterday, I was holding the same black naked neck when the same hawk swooped down and tried to take her (again :mad:) I tried swatting him/her away but it scratched me! Then, he flew away. (Don't worry the naked neck is fine now) I don't know if it's a coincidince or the hawk is racist but I'm worried the hawk is going to take her and eat her. Also, I would never do this but killing a hawk in my state is illegal so that is not an option, I tried swatting it away though. If anyone has any tips on how to keep hawks away, it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Repost in the Predator & Pest forum for faster replies ...
I no longer free range because our Hawks (Io, in Hawaii) are protected also. There's a resident pair in the area, have had a young one get lost & hunker down in the neighbors yard. It called for the parents & they came to get it, I was in awe. I've also had one try getting my pullets, luckily they were close enough to their coop & ducked in.

The ones I have now are confined (4BO) in a 8 x 12 x 7 enclosure, they've been raised in there so no ruckus staying in there. I learned once free ranged, there's alot of complaining when confined.

Hey, guys I have a kind of have a problem. About a week ago, I was free ranging the hens when a hawk came and attempted to grab my black naked neck. He/she tried to pick her up, but she was too big thank goodness. So, for the next few days when I free ranged them, I would watch all of them, do a head count every ten minutes and watch the skies for hawks. Whenever, I saw a bird circling the sky I would rush them back to their coop. Well, just yesterday, I was holding the same black naked neck when the same hawk swooped down and tried to take her (again :mad:) I tried swatting him/her away but it scratched me! Then, he flew away. (Don't worry the naked neck is fine now) I don't know if it's a coincidince or the hawk is racist but I'm worried the hawk is going to take her and eat her. Also, I would never do this but killing a hawk in my state is illegal so that is not an option, I tried swatting it away though. If anyone has any tips on how to keep hawks away, it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Hawk can't carry away a whole adult Chicken. The can kill it but will eat it where it is. They can carry away youngens. Only Illegal to kill a hawk if you tell peeps or post about it. Look at it this way, feed the predators or feed your family. Choice is easy!

The hawk looked like this it was about the same size of the chickens. It's called the red shouldered hawk.

Attachments

• 24918441.jpg
    24918441.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom