Hawk hanging over my run! ALL DAY!!!

Quote:
Yup! You guessed it! Illegal too in Massachusetts. Cant shoot within 150 feet of any dwelling. I understand the hawk is a bird of prey, and is doing its thing. It isn't really scared of me when I go out.... Just flutters away when I get real close...

Quote:
Hmmm... Could work. Going to be in the 20's here tonight.... Might be a bad idea however , with all the chickens being impaled with icicles in the meantime...
smile.png

Did someone post that Yoko Ono CDs are outlawed in Mass?...just joshing....

I have found that the dogs are also a good deterrent to having hawks hang around. They patrol around the coop, and if you put some leftover turkey in the run, they might patrol closer
clap.gif
For the summer I wonder if a motion activated sprinkler might work? My mom uses that for deer.

We lost our BR Thelma to a hawk (poor Louise lost her sister)...it had been watching my hens for a while and we were on vacation--a neighbor was letting the hens in and out each day. Just not enough commotion to keep the hawks away.

Good Luck!

Quote:
I have some White Giants that are so skiddish that THEY would run off and not come back! Even if firecrackers are not illegal here.

And my dogs helping? Well, I have to keep them away from the chickens too.
barnie.gif

i have two red tail hawks that sit on top of my run. good things it is enclosed. but when we chase them off they just go high into a tree and wait.. the chickens haven't been out in about 3 weeks to free range but the hawks are still here.. and just the other night my son informed me that when he gets home from work at midnight .. he has seen several times a fox on the driveway near the coop.. i am so happy you all said use hardware cloth and bury it. so far so good. promise not to tell my secret? the fox was in the daylight prancing around the coop.. really was a beautiful thing to see in the sunlight. so my hubby gets angry and runs in to get his pistol. 350 magnum. now the man hasn't hunted or shot the gun in several yrs and he is near 60 so the eye sight? well so/so.. so the fox runs up a hill and stops to look at him.. about 200' away. hubby shoots and i can see the dirt fly.. i chuckle and the fox still stands there.. i see the dirt fly a couple more times and the fox just looks around at the dirt flying again.. finally he yells really loud and the fox runs over the hill and into the woods.. by then i am silently cracking up.. so hubby comes into the bedroom to unload his gun.. his hands shaking from tension and i hear a pop??????.. i am thinking is that was a gun shot sounds like? so i yell from the living room.. what was that? he says nothing.. so i go into the bedroom to see what is going on and he has shot my kingsize bed.. there is a tiny little hole in the sheet and the matress.. he says sooooo sorry but the bullet must be lodged into the box springs... so i let it go with a lecture about shaking hands and safety.. so the next day hubby is at work and i am telling my 30 yr old son about the death of my matress and he can't believe it so he lift up my matress and there is all this stuffing oozing out the hole and into the boxspring.. we finally found the bullet it was lodged into the floor..joke is around here if your not behaving grandpa will kill your bed

Back
Top Bottom