Hawk has made his nest over our coop.

MooresonaMission

Chirping
Apr 4, 2019
We have ducks and chickens that have a shared coop in our horses’ pasture. We had been letting the chickens and ducks free range from breakfast until dinner in the pasture. Two weeks ago we had a duck attacked by a hawk. It was awful and my kids were devastated. So we’ve been keeping them in their coop, but they really want to get out. This week we found the hawk has made a nest right above the coop. Smart hawk... but what do we do? The coop isn’t portable. Hawks cannot be shot or bothered.
Any suggestions? Our chickens and ducks are more like pets... they help clean up the pasture and sometimes lay eggs, so we appreciate them, but we have named them and love them and really don’t want to lose another to the hawk. Thank you for your help.

You may need to build a covered run. I am in Louisiana and the hawk problems get worse each year. As the hawk nest is in your yard, maybe call your state wildlife people and see if they can help? It is illegal to shoot them and, unfortunately, many states have no time or interest in helping. My hawk issues stop around mid March each year as the hawks move farther north. Good luck, I am sure many others will chime in here with suggestions.

We have ducks and chickens that have a shared coop in our horses’ pasture. We had been letting the chickens and ducks free range from breakfast until dinner in the pasture. Two weeks ago we had a duck attacked by a hawk. It was awful and my kids were devastated. So we’ve been keeping them in their coop, but they really want to get out. This week we found the hawk has made a nest right above the coop. Smart hawk... but what do we do? The coop isn’t portable. Hawks cannot be shot or bothered.
Any suggestions? Our chickens and ducks are more like pets... they help clean up the pasture and sometimes lay eggs, so we appreciate them, but we have named them and love them and really don’t want to lose another to the hawk. Thank you for your help.
Very sorry about your duck. :hugs It is always painful.
Was the horse with them at the time? I always felt my goats prevented the hawks from attacking because the chickens were pastured with the goats. Surely a horse would do the same. You could provide hoop houses also for cover but with one having a nest above the coop, that's worrisome.
Also what is your location? As another said, I only have issues in the winter with the hawks.

My chickens/goats/horse all run together. While my horse will alert me to goat problems, except for a startle response when a hawk dives to a chicken, she will not protect from a hawk. The goats don't react at all.

My chickens/goats/horse all run together. While my horse will alert me to goat problems, except for a startle response when a hawk dives to a chicken, she will not protect from a hawk. The goats don't react at all.
I just meant their presence kept the hawks away because they were so big. I've had chickens since 1996 and not ever had a hawk fly down.

Call your game warden. They can sometimes help relocate the birds. They may be able to help. Worth a shot.

My horses watched while a fox killen ten hens in their pasture, a few years ago. While the horses would likely protect a foal, the chickens are on their own. And raptors? Who cares, not the mares.
When the predator isn't directly a threat to the horses, they mind their own business.
Mary
I have read about horses protecting their owners from threats, but that's different.

Back
Top Bottom