Hawk in my yard for 2 weeks- afraid he is after my chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by deedra11, Nov 4, 2011.

1. deedra11

deedra11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I have had this huge hawk in my yard almost everyday for the last two weeks, and I'm sure he is after my chickens. I have 2 silkie's (one is a rooster) and 2 barred rock hens. My husband hung cd's all around the trees and & i'm wondering if there is anything else I can do that would help. A few days ago he was in a low branch eating a bird & staring at me through my kitchen window...almost like he was warning me- very creepy. I was thinking about getting one of those fake owls? I have been keeping my chickens cooped up in their run because i'm afraid, but I feel so bad for them. How long should I keep them locked up?

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    can't tell you what to do but I know what I would do. Good for you for hanging the cd's!

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My neighbors chicken was attacked by a hawk 2 weeks ago. Luckily she was right there to scare the hawk away and save her chicken. Hawks see chickens as a nice meal! I won't free range mine unless I'm right there with them due to the hawks in my backyard.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have tried all that stuff, cd's, string all over the yard, fluorescent tape, noise, scarecrows, owls, everything. Except a dog.
    Doesn't deter them in the least. Once they find the all-you-can-eat chicken buffet in your yard, it's hard to get them to leave.
    And their favorite is Silkies, they don't even see it coming. You might want to trim that pouff on top if you don't mind the look, I have done it with all my birds that have big hair.
    Good luck...

5. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I can't say conclusively that this works all the time but I've noticed when we light a fire in the backyard firepit, the hawk leaves and the chickens are free to roam relatively safely. I still stay out there, though. Me and my dogs. Funny thing is that we aren't always a deterrent but that fire seems to be.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. Jobele

Jobele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Texas
    Well, we use the race starter pistols that fire blanks....it sure scares the heck out of the hawks around here! The silkies are sitting ducks for a hawk....now the larger the chicken...the better defense they will have. I have actually seen a moma hen take a hawk on! She was defending her chicks.....and he backed down! I also play a radio and have it set on a talk show...so it sounds like humans are in the area. A hawk doesn't WANT to attack if he thinks he may get hurt! But, if he is hungry enough....he'll attack no matter what! But, he'll probably go after your silkies first, because he can just swoop down and pick them up and fly somewhere else to eat it. The heavier the chicken...the more trouble he'll have with flying away...thus, the more danger for the hawk. I have also used some of the bull horns (the kind that people use at football games) that make loud screeching sounds. You can buy them on ebay. When you honk one of those everything flys away [​IMG] Hope that helps!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  7. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I dont know how big of an yard you have but birds of pray prefer to swoop down, nab prey and fly off in a straight pattern. What I have done is picked up a bunch of 9 foot or larger umbrellas and placed them as if they were trees. I have blocked all straight line access into and out of my yard. I have had no problems since doing this.

8. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I LOVE THAT IDEA! It's so logical, too. Why didn't I think of it? Do you have pictures so we can see?

9. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:[​IMG] now that is a good,legal way to deal with a hawk!or any other "protected" bird of prey for that matter!im going to try that myself.
    but you dont have to buy them on ebay now.walmart sells them in the fishing/boating section.

10. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Be very careful...a big hawk swooped to get one of my pullets today and, when my brave White Rock rooster ran to intercept, it killed him instantly.[​IMG]

Never had a problem with hawks until recently, and this one has NERVE...am so upset. I like the umbrella idea but cannot afford to buy all those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by