Hawk! Injured duck!

foxonfire

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Gainesville, GA
Living in semi-rural areas, you run into predator issues....2 days ago a hawk got into my duck pen....(thankfully the chickens are in a totally inclosed pen, right by the house- so no issues there) Only 1 hen was injured, the rest of the flock were upset, but ok otherwise. The interesting thing was the hawk had issues with getting out of the pen. So much that my DH was going to try to assist him with getting the heck out! Thankfully the hawk got his bearings and flew out himself- I wasn't too keen on letting DH get his hands on those dangerous beak and talons! And later that morning, we finished putting a tarp up on the roof of their pen...hopefully no more hawks!

Anybody know what you should do for an injured duck?? She has a slight injury to the top of her beak, and a small puncture wound to the back of her neck (probably where the hawk was trying to severe her spinal cord) Hawk must have been fairly desperate for a meal, I would doubt that he/she would have been able to lift the duck up in the air and fly off- Swedish Blue ducks are meat type ducks, very heavy birds.

The hen in question is currently residing inside my house, in a small dog crate with food and water, but she hasn't eaten anything that I know of on her own. I force fed her a homemade meal of salmon oil, and can dog food, with antibiotics mixed in, hoping this will restart her system, last night (about 20cc). Any other suggestions? I don't want to take her to the vet, if I don't have to, not to mention vets that will treat ducks are hard to find.

Thanks!

Update:

Hen's doing ok, back with the flock. Wound healing....YAY! Since there is now a tarp on top of the pen, we've had no more incidences with the hawks. Double YAY!

Just goes to show, if you don't put a top on your pen, you are asking for trouble, no matter how far away the pen is from your house or close, or how close the trees are to the pen.....crosses fingers and knocks on wood here's hoping there will be no more incidences!

Back
Top Bottom