Hawk injury! Please help!

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Today, about 30 minutes ago. There was a hawk.
I thought “Please no!” Because we just had a hawk attack to my favorite hen.
Guilt was running through my mind as im looking for all the chickens, doing a head count and going back to the forest.
Im angry at myself because i just had a bad feeling there might be a hawk attack earlier, and let them out anyway.

After looking, i found a heaping pile of feathers (for reference, the one injured is a Japanese bantam, super small.) I took her (Jolene) but found her in the back of our forest. I found the 2 larger chickens and our rooster. Couldn’t find the other japanese bantam which was her best friend, so much so we called them twins.

I found her hiding behind a mirror after looking in the forest. Im relieved that no one was taken but..

After some inspection on my chickens, none are hurt except Jolene, who has a good wound under her wing. Not big, but shes of course acting off.
I sprayed hydrogen peroxide on it really well multiple times, then put terramycin on it, not sure if that was the right call but the only other thing i had was Neosporin with painkillers which i read was really bad.

72A33D85-6240-44B7-8C59-693F039F1ED9.jpeg

This is the injury after the antibiotic and hydrogen peroxide which is why there is little blood.
A LOT of feathers were pulled out and you can tell by looking at her she looks thinner and her wing is more held out, and shes slower. I didn’t see any other injuries. Will she be okay? What else should i do?

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive could you help? Thank you.

Sorry about the hawk attack. Watch for any signs of internal injuries. For wound care I would stop peroxide, and use some animal wound spray, saline, or chlorhexidene, and apply plain Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. The Terramycin is fine to use, but expensive. Make sure that she is drinking, and if she is in shock, keep her in a quiet dim area, offering fluids and food. Cooked egg is usually a favorite. Let us know how she gets along.

I had a fox attack last year and my splash marans had very similar injury. I used hydrogen peroxide and VETERICYN WOUND SPRAY to clean the area and then apply Neosporin without painkillers everyday. I used some blood stop powder (forget the name) for the first week to stop potential bleeding. You can use cornstarch if you don't have it. She barely ate anything the first couple days, but recovered quickly after a week. I let her stay in a cage for a month. Before she went back to coop, I spray her with Blu-Kote so no one would pick her.

Sorry about the hawk attack. Watch for any signs of internal injuries. For wound care I would stop peroxide, and use some animal wound spray, saline, or chlorhexidene, and apply plain Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. The Terramycin is fine to use, but expensive. Make sure that she is drinking, and if she is in shock, keep her in a quiet dim area, offering fluids and food. Cooked egg is usually a favorite. Let us know how she gets along.
Thank you so much. I don’t have any other wound spray so i’ll try to make a trip to Tractor Supply today.

I will bring her and her little twin Gabby inside. They love each other to death and i saw her lit up when she saw she was okay.
Making some eggs right now.

How often should i apply Neosporin or Terramycin?

Is it necessary for separation? Since its under her wing i wasn’t sure if anyone would peck on her but i will probably bring her inside because of the rooster who‘s quite hormonal right now. I wouldn’t want him to injure her further from mating.

Back
Top Bottom