Hawk is scaring chickens...

susanah

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
A hawk got in under our netting on top of the run and got one of our chickens. We are rebuilding them with chicken wire and the rest are locked in small secure runs while we do this so they are safe. But the hawk keeps coming back and scaring them. Afraid they are going to all get sick from stress. I live in Northwest FL. Does anyone know what we can do? Thanks

Without knowing your situation I can tell you what I do....I live in the country in Kansas - hawks abound. When one is menacing either in flight or watching from a nearby tree, a fire my shotgun toward it - note I dodn't say at it - just a loud BANG to scare it off. Seems to work...until the next one comes along. Good luck to you!!

Shiny, spinning objects. cds, pie plates etc

Basically things that move and take up space. I have shade covers that move in the wind. Fishing line attached to 10' pvc poles with colored rope tied at different sections that is frayed. I have only had hawk problems when the birds were in the pasture. Never had a problem when the birds were in with the shade cloth or fishing line.

Crows also help. You can leave things out like corn cobs etc to attract them. Crows can pose other problems but I am happy with the ones here since they chase the hawks over acres and acres.

Back
Top Bottom