Hawk Just Attacked my Chicken while I was Watching Through the Window!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Yankeechick, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Yankeechick

Yankeechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    A small hawk just attacked my feather foot white chicken while my mother and I were admiring the chickens through the window. My husband ran outside and through a brick at it and I thought the chicken was dead, but my daughter picked her up and she has a gash on the side of her neck, but it is not bleeding. she opened her eyes and b-gocked a bit, so maybe she'll be okay.
    Anyone have any advice in regards to what I should do now? what should I put on it, etc?

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

As long as she's not bleeding she should be okay...But I'd probably make sure that she's warm and not being stressed.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've noticed how brazen the hawks have gotten here. I have mature chickens in a coop/run with wire and shade screen over the top, and chicks in an enclosed tractor. I think the hawks see the chickens and hear the peeps, and they have been circling low. All I can think is "haha,made you look!"

4. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I would just keep her warm and maybe give her a little oatmeal.

5. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    how is your little hen doing this evening?
    i hope she is okay!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it's not too deep, I would just put a little neosporin or other topical antibiotic on it. I hope she is feeling better.

I'm glad you saw what happened and could come to her rescue, before anything worse happened. I interrupted a hawk attack last fall on one of my girls, too. We were also very lucky that she wasn't killed before I got there.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Shock may be the worst thing she's dealing with - warmth, TLC - till she's back to her old self. Hope she will be alright. So nerve wracking, these bold hawk attacks.
    JJ

8. meloncholy88

meloncholy88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I hate these Hawks! I have lost several birds to them and I finally enclosed a whole acre for them to roam in. They are so bold. They don't have any natural predators, so they just keep multiplying.
    Argh!

9. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Hawks are the only problem I have also. One tried to get one of my girls while I was out in the yard with them! I've never seen chickens run like that!

10. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I live in the suburbs and just noticed a small hawk here in my trees from time to time. They also watch my bird feeders for the wild birds I attract, but they have noticed my hens. They are in a covered run, but I've hear where they will attempt to break through it to get to the chickens. Hopefully, they hens would run into the coop where I think the hawk wouldn't fit! Anyone have trouble with a hawk breaking into the run?

Stephanie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by