Hawk Killed One and Wants the Rest

I lost 2 this morning!!!! One plymouth rock cockeral and an older Ameraucana hen.
hit.gif
:
hit.gif
:
hit.gif
:
hit.gif

this is the FIRST time in 2 years I've had a hawk get ANY of my chickens. To lose two within hours????

It must have broke her neck because when I cleaned her, there were no puncture holes anywhere. She was too big for him to carry off and was still warm when I got to her. He didn't want me anywhere near when I approached. Notice the horse looking at the hawk:

I couldn't figure out why the horses were spun up and then I realized what happened:

Last edited:
So sorry about your Slow-Poke. Those darn hawks. We have them here, even though we're in the middle of the suburbs there are still forested areas, a protected creek nearby, and the bay a couple of miles away. I appreciate our crows and jays much more than I ever now that we have chickens. The two sightings I've had in my back yard were when I heard the other birds sounding the alarm. I would run out to the deck, just in time to see a hawk fly out of the trees behind us, and then I'd hustle my chickens back into their covered run.
It makes me worry though - I have heard about the hawks swooping into the yard even when people are out there. I'm afraid they'd be too quick for either me or our dogs to scare them off.

I would say something here but hawks are govenmentaly protected. If I said anything I would upset the hawk lovers and not leave myself in good standing with those folks. So I won't say anything.

Yes he's still around. Every tree he landed in I'd walk toward the tree and hed fly away.

I like hawks. Until now they've left the chickens alone. I don't think this was a resident red tail it was lighter and looked smaller. We do have a hawk nest on the property which makes it odd it took 2 years to lose two birds within minutes.

I like hawks too. In fact, I love hawks. I'm an avid birder, and in another situation, I would have been enjoying getting such a close look at a hawk! I don't bear it any malice, I know it is just following its instincts....I just have to figure out a way to protect my little ladies.

I chased mine from tree to tree this morning too. After I chased it off a few times, it seems to have finally disappeared for now. But I don't trust yet that it is really gone.

Back
Top Bottom