Hawk left wound! Please help!

The products with pain relievers such as benzocaine, lidocaine, and pramacaine (pramine) are usually not used with poultry, since they can be toxic. Vets may use these with caution during surgery, but most avoid them in chickens. I would use it if I had to only once, but with a large wound you would be using a large amount. Do you have vaseline and a few drops of betadine to mix together?

I didn't think it was good for them.
I only know what I know from learning by my Grandfather. So you never know what's ole wise tail or not.
I'm so not prepared for chicken emergencies, I never needed it before. So No unfortunately I don't have any betadine. I'm making a trip to our MFA tomorrow to pick up a few things now.
Thank you SO much for your help!

Look for "Chicken neck attack, help" a thread by Anbariful in the search section top of this page or on the emergency forum. It is rather long, but her chicken has survived a similar attack with the front of her neck and chest opened. You might find some info that is useful. Keep us posted on how your hen is doing. Try plain vaseline until you get triple antibiotic ointment tomorrow.

IMG_3431.PNG
IMG_3424.JPG
Hi!

Best of luck to your and your chicken! :hugs Rooting for you two! <3

Here is my thread on the downright awful attack on my English Orpington: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-neck-attack-help.1198490/

My chicken and the wonderful people on here have taught me a lot and how resilient chickens can be. You're in good hands. :) It's been about 2-3 weeks and she's still hanging in there. First picture is the day of the attack and the second picture was from this morning.

Its amazing how well Chickens heal!
I'll take a pic later.
She's devouring some cabbage peacefully, so I'll let her chill.

Back
Top Bottom