1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk Photos

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rebbetzin, Oct 3, 2010.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    The Hawk is now coming to the birdbath several times a day.
    It appears to like cooling off it's feet in the nice cool water.

There may be a pair of them.
    [​IMG]

I got one of it taking off

[​IMG]

I missed a great photo last week... I came out the back door, not really paying any attention, just in time to see it take off from not 10 inches away from the new chick enclosure!! If I had looked out before opening the door, I would have had a great photo of the Hawk studying the chicks!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  2. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Do you know what kind of hawk that is?

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have seen something similar in on the run.

It is a little smaller than the hens but the hens are afraid of it, it didn't try to go after even the chicks.

My brother says it is Copper's Hawk.

They eat rats, blue jays and quail to give you an idea on the size of its prey.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper's_Hawk

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Looks like a Cooper to me, too. Although sharp-shinned hawks look similar this one appears to be a Cooper.

5. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Does look like a Cooper's hawk. Given the opportunity it will take your chicks one by one. I use to pen a mother hen in a small cage on the ground and the chicks could come and go thru the wire. As they got older and braver would stray a little farther and a Cooper's hawk perched in a nearby tree would swoop down for a snack until I realized what was happening. Sharp-shinned hawk's would be also very capable as they are agile enough to hunt squirrels in the forest. Keep your chicks behind wire!

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    That looks like a male Cooper's hawk. They will definitely try for smaller birds and chicks. Larger breeds of adult chickens are more of a challenge, but are not immune to attacks by this hawk. I think they might attack ducks, too, even Muscovy ducks. But, the ones I see at our lake usually ignore all the ducks and coots and go for rabbits, squirrels, doves, pigeons and phoebes.

7. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    The thing that amazes me is the lack of fear in these birds. The Red Tails are even more fearless of humans. At least if you don't make any threatening gestures towards them. They let you get quite close., before they fly off. They are so beautiful, magestic looking. Too bad they like to eat chickens!

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    The male Cooper's seem to be the boldest. I am always able to get close to the males. But, females and juveniles have whizzed right past me sometimes trying to catch something, too.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yep , tell by size cooper hawk, nicknamed chicken hawk for a reason..........prey on birds.

10. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    [​IMG] bet thats not the kind of bird you thought youd see in your bird-bath

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by