Hawk Problem what to do for run?

leecey411

Crowing
16 Years
May 31, 2007
I want to give my chickens more room to free range. Right now they are in roofed runs with attached sleeping quarters that dh and I drag around ala chicken tractor. There is a big hawk who has no shame letting us know it is nearby. I would like to fence off a large area for them to free range but not be carried off. What do I do?

I use deer netting that is securely fastened all the way around the run and have had it for almost 6 years now. The hawks sit on the pasture fence but have never gotten one of my chickens.

Deer netting sounds good! Maybe I can fashion some type of tent with a deer net top and wire sides! and put the coop inside. I am looking for suggestions! Thanks!

That is basically what I did. I had some 5 ft no-jump horse fencing that I used for the perimeter. Then I got two 8 ft 4X4s that I spaced evenly down the center of my run and tented the netting off of that.

Would y'all please post pics?
We have neighborhood hawks as well. The little run is built like Fort Knox, but I need a daytime run for the girls to use while I'm at work. It needs to be bigger than the 8'x16' enclosed run. All 17 chicks managed to live and I am short on space now!
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom