Hawk stalking chickens! Help!

I would not count on your presence deterring a hawk. I have had hawks swoop down twice that I know of in the past couple weeks and I was standing right there both times. Luckily they missed both times.
I'm sure your right.... I've never had this...

Well since you can't let them out... I'd try to keep them from getting bored and depressed, give them something new and different every once in awhile. I volunteer at a zoo, and one thing I've done is enrichment. Which is giving the animals things to keep them entertained since they are stuck in pens. Here's some ideas: A big shallow box filled with dirt with worms/mealworms in it for the chickens to dig around in, new kinds of fruits and vegetables to try out (Watermelon, corn, and mealworms are some favorites, if your chickens haven't tried those already..), if you were willing to spend the money you could by chickens toys, https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Ware...d=1475373645&sr=8-7&keywords=chicken+supplies https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pe...=1475373688&sr=8-28&keywords=chicken+supplies
https://www.amazon.com/Lixit-LIXIT-...=1475373828&sr=8-27&keywords=chicken+supplies

Just some ideas.. Hope the hawk leaves!
hugs.gif

I have a hawk stalking my area big time but not after chickens. It is after songbirds. The hawk is catching the songbirds and a very interesting dynamic is developing. The hawk would have left it catching was not so reliable.

Can you see hawk in two images above? It is a juvenile female Coopers Hawk. I am pretty sure it is a migrant from up north. It appears to have arrived around 1030 yesterday.

Between 1045 and 1500 yesterday it caught a songbird and consumed it on a pen in the cockyard. Feathers of victim easy to see. Hawk now has a route worked out where starts on powerline as shown in images above. Then is works hedges trying to flush birds out. After about 20 minutes it actually goes into my barn where I have chicks well within the size range of being vulnerable. Hawk takes route at least three times a day with about 30 minutes worth I can see. Problem for hawk is I have adult chickens there as well with a couple being roosters that will go after it. The chickens raise all sorts of cane when the hawk flies into barn. My dog also checks things out when chickens start cackling.

Other cool things going on with songbirds as they communicate about it and engage in behaviors making hawk's efforts more difficult.

Last edited:
Sad news, the hawk got our white leghorn
1f630.png
1f630.png
we have since built them a very nice enclosure. Covered, fenced and a lot more secure. (We hope). We are only allowed 4 chickens and she seemed to be the leader of the other three. They all seemed a little lost without her. Is there a grieving period with chickens and if so how long does it last. They seem better. Just trying to figure this whole chick thing out. We don't want to lose anymore. Any advice appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom