Hawk trouble

Keeping them in a covered and kind of defeats the whole purpose of having them. I'm looking for ideas checking them while they are out free ranging. Thank you to those of you who gave the suggestions.

Sometimes that's the only way you can keep them without feeding the local wildlife. If we didn't build aviarys, there would be fat hawks and no chickens. Besides, beyond their covered area is the exact same dirt and scrub brush as is covered by 500 square miles in all directions. Free ranging does nothing here other than make people feel good.

Digressing: lots of people will give their chickens lots of places to hide which helps. Bird netting and such also will keep the hawks out but can be expensive. You didn't give your location or any type of hawks you're dealing with, that would help.

Good luck.

Keeping them in a covered and kind of defeats the whole purpose of having them. I'm looking for ideas checking them while they are out free ranging. Thank you to those of you who gave the suggestions.

There's a company named Remington that makes a pretty good hawk deterrent just don't let the FBI or the FWLS catch you using it to deter hawks.

I have a 12 x 20 run that they can stay. Half covered half open with strings cross the top to deter the hocks. Works really well. However the whole purpose of getting these keets was to have tic and fly control in the horse pasture. If they can't get out to do they're job then it's all for naught. I suppose a couple of Pyronese dogs might be my last resort.

Dog will help but getting your birds mature will help with daytime raptors. Dogs will take some time to get into play so the confinement and enhanced cover options would help until then and even after dogs in place.

With the types of chickens I have in my setting where ticks are also an issue, fully adult standard sized roosters can help against hawks. The rooster needs to hang with the keets to be effective.

I cannot help but think a chicken tractor is a nice option to keep the birds safe and move them around the pasture with. New ground to clear of pests and safe from hawks at the same time.

I have a Karakachan LGD that I have been training with my flock. He is now 13 weeks. If you do get an LGD you need to expose them young to the chickens, at 8 weeks. Of course you would need to supervise because is going to want to chase and bite tail feathers. Our guineas were brooded with chicks of the same age. They now think they are chickens! Interestingly enough they do follow our large Bielefelder rooster everywhere! So they make the nosie and he has the size, nice pairing haha! They have done an excellent job with ticks and chiggers!

Back
Top Bottom