Hawk with baby Spotted in area Have questions,

Sounds to me like a little salt in the arse is the only solution maybe by the time the stinging stops he will think twice about BBQ chicken...... I dont even know if he could carry one of my fat birds off judging by the size he was my birds are 5-7 lbs and he/she was the size of a 3 month old chicken the baby hawk was even smaller theres only red tails here Someone also Suggested hawk decoys said hawks wont hunt where other birds of prey are stationed. Well I will personally blow that one out the water. We live on 640 total acres of wheat fields me and my bud farm well over 1500 Several times in the past few years we both have seen hundreds of hawks Usually around fall In the fields in one big group. I spend 90% of my days in the yard anyway this poultry farm is definatly an all day job catoring to everyone. I havent lost a single bird to a predator thus far Even catch the snakes before they get my babys dispatched 4 cotton mouths last month alone. coyotes arent brave enough to test the assie shepards yet. (oops I did take one lose to a predator but he didnt get to eat the bird he killed it threw a cage it was a barn owl and my little friend later ate him for supper after I boarded him up inside the barn covering the only window he had to escape from.
I was told once a hawk finds you its good bye to the farm guess we will sit this out and see what happens. I will keep ya posted.

P.S. as i once read on the forums the best way to get rid of any predators is use the triple S method Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up.
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
he.gif

Quote:
aww I got turkeys but these adorable guys got so long till there big enough to do squat however now that you mentioned it my chinese geese were absolutly in an uproar at the sight of it the big giant male was making laps around with me but the question is what could a goose do to a hawk or would he even do anything? I raise ducks geese chickens and turkeys and salamanders lol

You need to encourage birds like, crows, ravens, mockingbirds, jays. They will chase hawks from the area. Mockingbirds and Jays love berries. Crows and ravens love to raid compost piles left out in the open.

I live on the edge of 5+miles of mountain and forest. I've got lots of hawks. A pair of redtails have been nesting here for as long as I have. Had a sharpy try to get my bobwhite quail through their hardware cloth pen. But have never lost a chicken to them(dog yes, hawk, no.) The girls tend to run under the trees at the edge of the woods. I couple of guineas would let you know if a strange leaf blows through your yard.

Quote:
as I stated earlier I usually have tons and I mean tons of birds here year round I probably have 100 mockingbirds 20-30 scissor tails dont want to try and count the barn swallows or w/e they are and some crows I feed them openly I even have Dove lots of them (Just dont ask me where I live dove hunters I will tell you I live that way <--------->
lau.gif
) today all the birds seemed to be gone until the hawk left even the kids were saying wheres all our birds. About the guinea's I was just about to buy a quad of them and someone told me not to because they will kill my roosters by ganging up on them. Way my farm is set up is I build chicken tractors (there really breeding boxes) those are predator proof and they are moved every 2 days (cornish x rock's moved daily) I have a hen house for 250 hens also covered and another really big breeding area also predator proof. heres the problem all the birds who are actually "free ranging" are my roosters a few jersey giants some sex links hens are free range till there old enough to breed then its to breeding boxes for them also. the brooder house isnt predator proof when it comes to the yard and the coop but when there inside for the night there safe as a baby.
So will the guinea's actually kill my roosters or is that only in rare cases? Oh yea forgot to add I have all the wild birds because I have 5 great big mulberry trees or so I think thats why. Have even seen friendly coons coming to enjoy the feast of falling berries. but those guys always end up disappearing

Crack N' Egg :

I must be missing something....I know that there are laws prohibiting the killing of hawks, but what I was told was that if it is causing slaughter to 'livestock' you as a 'farmer' have a right to protect.

I have a love/hate relationship with my hawks and fox. The big hawks tend to stay away from my chickens. The baby and young hawks do not. They haven't learned that the rooster will try to kick the poop out of it (literally). Fox have taken 4 of my chickens. Just 3 weeks ago, a mom was teaching her pup to hunt and they took one of my 10 wk old SLW.

Problem with shooting both hawks and fox is they are not x-large targets that are slow. Too difficult to hit.

I'm sorry that you have had such a hard time with them. It truly suck for us free-rangers.

I hope you will find a solution, whatever it may be.
hugs.gif

Nope. There is no leeway for protecting your animals against raptors; be they livestock or pets; it is illegal to shoot the raptor. It is also illegal to harrass the hawks, so the methods being described here are also illegal. I personally think that the law needs to at the very least exclude shooting protecting your livestock, especially if the particular species is not endangered. Most hawk and falcon species are not endangered or even at risk.​

Quote:
aww I got turkeys but these adorable guys got so long till there big enough to do squat however now that you mentioned it my chinese geese were absolutly in an uproar at the sight of it the big giant male was making laps around with me but the question is what could a goose do to a hawk or would he even do anything? I raise ducks geese chickens and turkeys and salamanders lol

You know how intimidating a goose can be to some humans, so even if the goose can't catch the hawk. Wings spread. honking. coming forward like a locomotive, if I was a hawk, I'd leave!

I lost two of my favorite birds to an eagle today. One was a Buff Orp and a Cuckoo Maran. Two in one day. We have a farm right off a nature preserve and there's lots of hawks and a pair of eagles but we never had trouble until today. They didn't take my husbands yucly Turkens but my lovely Orp that was hand-tame. So sad.
sad.png
There's probably nothing we can do either. I'd be terrified to out a net up and find a 25 lb bald eagle in it. Maybe it's time to plant trees around the coop so they will have other places to hide when they are eating. We have a coop and a fenced run but it's a hot fence and has no netting or cover on the top.

<--- aww I just noticed that the birl we lost is my avatar.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
So sorry for your loss.
Update on hawks, well the sky has been clear all day I live on flat land and wheat pastures so I can see from miles away all was well in the neiborhood Perhaps the mother hawk told the baby hawk dont try to hunt here theres a crazy man there with a shiny stick who has a potty mouth
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom