Hawks and how to stop them!

Generally speaking with respect to hawks S-S-S is not the best way to go to prevent poultry losses. It can also fall well into the realm of stupid when the third S is violated by posting on the internet.

There are lots of more effective measures and many in the long run cost less than posting yourself out waiting for a hawk to shoot when there are other more productive ways to use your time.

I agree that there are other ways. The best way is to NOT let them out of an uncovered run and making their enclosure like Fort Knox. In some situations though, when all else has failed, and you have no other choice, then yes! You have to protect your own.

I do not shoot hawks and I keep a good number of chickens out free range. I loose very few to hawks even when neighbors do. I use very effective legal means to protect my own and probably loose fewer birds than you do. Look into more options, you have not exhausted them all yet.

I do not shoot hawks and I keep a good number of chickens out free range. I loose very few to hawks even when neighbors do. I use very effective legal means to protect my own and probably loose fewer birds than you do. Look into more options, you have not exhausted them all yet.
Without reading all 10 pages of this thread, would you share these? I already assume dogs and roosters. Anything else?

Without reading all 10 pages of this thread, would you share these? I already assume dogs and roosters. Anything else?

Cover
Provide cover patches that hawks cannot not fly through. Multiple patches better. My patches are bushes and brambles. Fence row with cover patches are awesome places for birds to loaf. Cover takes time to develop and is a long-term consideration for your property. I have posted many times on this and have a lot of pictures in my albums here showing good examples.

Flock Free-Range Activity Times
If flock is overly vulnerable then let them out only when you are present. I had to employ this routine after moving to new location before getting dogs in place. My birds were let out only after I got home for day when I would be out working yard. I did not stand idle when a predator got into flock and local predators quickly figured out I was not just a fast moving tree. No free-ranging when snow is deep and cover is anything less than exceptional. For me hawks do not hunt much during the last hour of daylight so let birds out then but watch for owls.

Free-Range Demographics
When you protection systems are week, do not free-range younger birds. If you have small or visually impaired birds, then do not free-range those either. Breed selection is important here.

Considerations above help reduce losses but properly behaving dogs are best system. If you have dogs that do not work, then invest time in dogs to get them to work. Roosters I use under very specific situations and that involves protection of younger birds specifically from hawks. Roosters also protect hens during much of year but with red-tailed hawks the roosters must have cover to operate from.

Predator management is a long-term activity that will take into a more holistic approach of free-range chicken raising. Losses will still be incurred but keep the losses down. Some losses are tolerable but make so loss prevention does not cost more than loss replacement. Bullets are cheap but time required to make them do their thing is not. I use a camera like I would use a gun so have a pretty good handle in the time cost. No need to mention penalty cost if caught harming raptors.

I'd much rather free range and them live a happy and free life than lived confined in a pen....

We only have hawk issues in the fall during migration. The ones at risk are the juveniles and chicks. The adults have never been taken or attempted to be taken. My biggest saviour has been the roosters. They warn the hens and juveniles to go for cover. The ones that don't, well... Not something I really care to breed into my flock: a chicken that doesn't understand danger calls.. Even day old chicks get it!

One of the coopers went after a broody's chicks and got a whooping from the mother. The hawk was screeching, the hen had him by the tail (I say him because he was small, females are larger).

My LGDs have never done any good with hawks... especially not Cooper Hawks.. Ground predators are what they protect against. Hawks attack with the element of surprise, but the roosters are always checking the skies.. The crows also give early warning to a raptor in the area.. working hand in hand with the roosters to sound the warning.

Cover is VERY important. Dense cover... bushes, shelters, etc.

My main hawk cover is this platform. I have one for chicks behind it.. you can see it if you squint... I also have a deck where they go under, and they are always hiding in the brush in the woods.

The brush they hide in. The geese have no issue with hawks, and stay out every time there is a attempt. Never lost a rabbit to a hawk either.

Oh look you can see it here... Ugly but useful

Last edited:
Owls are apparently more of a threat than Chickens... in an attempt to minimize exposure, I have my door set to open two hours after the sun is up. They miss a little of the morning, but they are not out at the crack of dawn when alot of predators are still hunting.

My dog is very cognizant of them and will actually look up to challenge them. He has spoiled a few shots for me.

The bushes and other cover are also excellent for making it harder for aerial predators.

Back
Top Bottom