Hawks and how to stop them!

Also, just now, we found what could be dead mites on some of our chickens feathers (they looked almost like messed up turf pellets), would that mean we have mites?

If it's mites the De will help, you put some in in their dust bathing area/box. I would also dust individual chickens every couple days. Check roars and chickens, etc at night that's when the mites are more active. There is a oil you spray on the roosts and nest boxes etc, I onto recall the name, sorry. I would also clear out any straw/litter/feathers/nesting materials and start fresh with a little de sprinkled in. Best of luck =)

Just an update: Since our last hawk attack, we have had no more attacks.

What I would contribute our success to: We have planted what we call 'chicken gardens.' These are designed by us to be big, bushy plants that provide protection so that no flying predator could see the chickens while hiding. These are also bushes that a little bit of pecking by chickens will not kill them.

We also locked them up for a little bit after the hawk attack, which deterred our hawk.

Lastly, our dog was trained to be with our chickens. He wasn't specifically trained so that he would protect the chickens, but just his presence outside with them has helped.

If you are looking for some deterrents for hawks, this is what worked for us. Hope this helped!

Well since I was on here last, I have taken a beating by hawks. I have lost three birds in the space of two months. 2 were young chickens, and they were taken by a coopers hawk. The last one was one of my painstakingly raised black copper Marans hens. (I also lost a full grown Blue Copper Hen and a young cockerel/rooster which probably only cost me a chicken dinner.</p>

So as you might imagine I was pretty upset. The two young birds were killed in my garden which is an open area. I let them in to work on composting but I have now closed it off and have been keeping them in as I make a pen. I think the free ranging is going to have to take a backseat for awhile. When I am home and around it is alright, but I think the Coopers hawk especially keeps coming back because he has had some success

I am working on an enclosure to keep my feathered friends safer.. The Hawks are thick around here. I need more shrubbery in some areas. It seems the birds are attacked mostly in open areas with no immediate cover.

Last edited:
i always had dogs to protect all my animals and i never lost one animal in all those years, a well trained protection dog is worth its weight in gold.. but mine were all giant English Mastiffs, a very large breed , but perhaps a Border Collie with a good back round and the parents are proven animal guards and that could be the best answer right now for all of us, but also maybe a few owl decoys...! or several of them..??? all posted around the chickens when they are free ranging, they make decoy owls that move their heads, maybe look for ones that move in the wind..? i am looking on line for some right now. take care and good luck...!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom