1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hawks and rabbits

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by treeclimber233, Dec 8, 2010.

1. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    I know this is not the rabbit section but not many people go there and I really need an answer. I have been having problems for a while getting my rabbits to breed. Well maybe I should say "to multiply". they breed just fine. however I don't seem to get many babies. And some of the babies I do get are getting killed and eaten in the cage. The other day I went to the barn and out flies two redtailed hawks. Would hawks scare the rabbits enough they would not have babies after breeding? Or try to eat the babies thru the wire? Or stress the mother enough that she would eat her own babies?

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Yes, the rabbits can be stressed out and therefore will drop the babies in other places than the nest...also the hawks could be eating the babies..how old are the rabbits?? Are they making nest? I have found out that my younger rabbits don't get the making nest and taking care of them properly..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by