Hawks and the damage they do.

I remember back probably almost 20 years ago I was around 12 years old and I had a Hawk that kept getting my babies.... I called the Alabama Department of Natural Resources Game and Fish Division and they gave me the number to the local Game Warden.... He was an older gentleman with a thick southern accent, so I proceded to tell him my troubles and asked him what could I do about it, his response was "well if that dang hawk was a getting my chickens I reckon I'd slip out back with my old shotgun and put a few pellets in him then take down in the woods and sling a lil bit a dirt on him" I was shocked I said "but isn't that illegal?" he said "well only if'n ya git caught!" true story!! LOL.........

Some interesting hawk facts..

Is there much competition among hawk species?
Yes and no. Hawks are territorial so they will defend their hunting area. Division of habitat preference helps keep the hawks away from each other as well. There are two groups of hawks and their physical differences relate to their habitat preference:

Do red-tailed hawks migrate?
Many red-tailed hawks do migrate south for the winter, but some individuals, especially older birds with established territories, may choose to stay. More birds migrate when the winter is especially snowy as they have greater difficulty locating rodents who hide tunnels under the snow.

How well can red-tailed hawks see?
The eyesight of the red-tailed hawk is two to three times better than ours. It is believed that a red-tailed hawk can see a mouse a half mile away.

Red-tailed hawks are federally protected birds it is illegal to have one without a permit.

How fast can a red-tailed hawk fly?
A red-tailed hawk can go 35 to 40 mph.

Do red-tailed hawks eat their food on the ground or in trees?
Most of the time a hawk will try to eat quickly. If it stays on the ground it is more vulnerable to attack. Hawks have the advantage of having a crop. The crop is a widening of the esophagus where the bird can hold food and take a little at a time to its stomach. That means the bird can quickly take in the food on the ground and then take time to sit in a tree and digest the food slowly. In the wild a red-tailed hawk may eat only every couple of days.

Does anything prey upon the red-tailed hawk?
Great Horned Owls are called winged tigers of the night. The rule that a bird will eat something not greater than half its body weight is not true of great horned owls. They can ambush their prey with silent flight and have been known to kill red-tailed hawks. Unfortunately, people also prey upon raptors both on purpose and by accident. Eighty percent of red-tailed hawks won't see their first birthday.

We live kinda remote on 215 acres and have a pair of hawks that live here pretty much year round and have young every year-we enjoy hearing them scream as they fly over head. I do have chickens freeranging and no problems so far--it did state they will only carry food half their weight-(they weigh alittle over 2 pounds)as I have about 3 acres I mow they probably get their fill on rodents and such that they can clearly spot and haven't had a reason to go after a larger lunch like my girls-that they would have to eat on the ground. A small or young chicken they could surely carry away though. I don't know if my husband and I could bring ourselves to shooting them though if they became a problem-they have been here for years. They are also considerably more regal than a possum or coon--LOL--I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it--so far -so good-although when comes and things get a bit covered in snow will definitely change the tides and my girls will stand out lke a good lunch. Oh,we have crows awful so they aren't really a deterrent either-i do watch them chase the hawks in the air and be a general nuisance-I always wonder why the hawk doesn't just reach out and nail them---it seems a game at times..

My red-tails also have good vision but have a qualitative difference as well. They can see in ultraviolet light and tease apart more of certain colors than we can. This enables the red-tails to see the urinals made by voles. The hawks simply sit where they can stare at urinals and wait for vole to come out to use bathroom. The hawks regular good vision evenables seeing the vole directly and stooping for catch.

Back
Top Bottom