Hawks eating chickens

You could always consider planting bushes for them to hide under. I let my chickens free range for parts of the day in my 1/2 acre fenced in yard and they spend 85% under the four bushes I have, 10% under my large tree and the remaining 5% (if that) in the open. I have lots of hawks and eagles where I live so I was worried about getting them but they are no dummies. My rooster spotted a large bird (think it may have been a vulture but unsure) made his funny little warning noise and they were so tightly packed under the closest bush it was almost comical. Sorry your poor flock has been being terrorized by them. I hope you get something figured out for your hen and any future chickens you have :hugs
I have one of those humongous pine trees and they have a play area beneath it and when under there they are very hard to see because the branches droop down onto the ground. And mine are just like yours they do spend time out in the yard and it seems they know when it's safe but I think my goose tells them, I don't have a rooster.

I would probably go with netting since you're already having issues. I agree that a few bushes or small trees would be helpful as well.

I have a similar open 30' x 50' run that my girls "free range" in when I'm home, the rest of the time they're in a predator proof run. They love to hang out under the sumacs. I also planted a cedar tree and an apple tree.

I have gotten lucky though. A few months ago I was outside and looked up to see a bald eagle up high. I thought it was after a smaller bird, but it turns out a couple smaller birds were dive bombing to chase it away.
A few weeks ago I was inside and heard some crows causing a ruckus. I came out to see about 10 of them swarming a hawk. They called in reinforcements and another 10 or so showed up and the hawk left.

I would probably go with netting since you're already having issues. I agree that a few bushes or small trees would be helpful as well.

I have a similar open 30' x 50' run that my girls "free range" in when I'm home, the rest of the time they're in a predator proof run. They love to hang out under the sumacs. I also planted a cedar tree and an apple tree.

I have gotten lucky though. A few months ago I was outside and looked up to see a bald eagle up high. I thought it was after a smaller bird, but it turns out a couple smaller birds were dive bombing to chase it away.
A few weeks ago I was inside and heard some crows causing a ruckus. I came out to see about 10 of them swarming a hawk. They called in reinforcements and another 10 or so showed up and the hawk left.
This is why I feed the local crows. Every morning they get a scoop of whatever the cheapest dry dog or cat food I can find - thrown into the street. They know our place as a good place to hang around, so we don't see many hawks...they show up they get mobbed.

Back
Top Bottom