Hawks eating my chickens Please Help!!

Quote:
Please provide more details of situation. Fix maybe simple.

Age / size of chickens?

Amount and types of vegetation?

Species of hawk?

Do you have direct observation of hawk activities?

chickens were full grown, mostly banties, but some standard size one's as well

Their pen is mostly open, but along one side of it there are some pine trees and a couple of fruit trees.

I don't know what kind of hawk it is(if you think it would help I could try and get a pic of it)

Yes, we have seen it trying to carry away one of our chickens. The chicken was too big, so it couldn't cary it away though. However, it killed it and sat right there and ate it
sad.png

Thanks.

Small size of bantams makes them more vulnerable to a broader range of hawks. At this time of year male hawks, which are smaller, do most of hunting. Generally speaking, they will only target at this time of year what can be carried intact back to nest.

Trees in themselves do not provide cover. Cover that works forces hawks to approach chickens on foot and denies easy takeoff. For me, black berries (brambles) patch that is at least 6 feet in diameter that can be penetrated easily by chickens can be effective cover.

Hawk species can be important. Picture would be nice. Effort might determine direction hawk comes in from. Sometimes hawks particular about how they approach larger prey. Show a picture.

What kind of roosters do you have? Some roosters can detour a hawk, especially if hawk on ground like when struggling with another chicken. My roosters are scared of hawk when it is above them but will thump it hard when its it on ground, especially when young chicks are around. Sometimes hens will join in on attack. Not all breeds do this.

Quote:
Does she actually live in with your chickens, or is she just in your yard around them?
Thanks!

centrarchid- what kind of roosters do you have that will attack the hawks? I NEED some!!!

Last edited:
I have a dog as well and he detours most but no all attacks. He has to be awake and in sight to detour Coopers. Red-tails now stay well away. Not everyone able to acquire dog and during startup, an improperly trained dog can make hawk concerns look like nothing. Long-term if resources allow, dog definantlly way to go. My dog now amoung free-rangers and has full access to perimeter around breeding pens. I will soon be encouraging him to sleep where hens go with bitties for night.

My American game roosters will stand ground against Coopers during brreeding season, especially when Coopers after bitties. Roosters that have covered (mated with) hens do all defending. Stags are either onlookers or alternative prey, depending upon situation. Outside of breeding season roosters more concerned with self preservation.

I don't think there's anything except keeping a very watchful eye on them . A Redtailed hawk killed my hen today, so very sad!

I have a covered run in addition to a safe nighttime coop. Usually my birds free range during the daytime with all doors opened, but if I've had a hawk or other daytime predator attack, everyone is locked in until the problem is solved. Usually about two weeks to discourage a hawk, but last year six weeks because of a very persistant Coopers. I have lots of trees and shrubs as cover also, which does help. Young bantams are a hawk's delight, but any bird is at some risk. I trap and shoot coons and possums as needed. Mary

http://www.fws.gov/permits/

This is a form to apply for a permit to kill migratory birds if they are causing loss of personal property (livestock, poultry).

Some common misconceptions:

1.  It is illegal to kill hawks and owls.. False.  If you have a permit it is legal.

2.  It is illegal to harass birds of prey. False. It is not illegal and ou must show that you have tried to harass birds before a permit would be issued.

3.  You will go to jail and receive a $10,000 fine if you kill a hawk or owl.  False. It is actually a Class B Misdeamenor and fines can be as small as $50 with no jail time.

http://www.fws.gov/permits/

This is a form to apply for a permit to kill migratory birds if they are causing loss of personal property (livestock, poultry).

Some common misconceptions:

1. It is illegal to kill hawks and owls.. False. If you have a permit it is legal.

2. It is illegal to harass birds of prey. False. It is not illegal and ou must show that you have tried to harass birds before a permit would be issued.

3. You will go to jail and receive a $10,000 fine if you kill a hawk or owl. False. It is actually a Class B Misdeamenor and fines can be as small as $50 with no jail time.
Has anyone on this site ever been able to obtain such a permit? In my experience they are available but never issued.

You may go to jail and be fined far in excess of $10,000. Don't believe this? Do a search on "Operation High Roller" - a federal sting operation which resulted in the fining and incarceration of Birmingham Roller fanciers.

WELL, BEYOND THE PERMIT ISSUE--I HAVE ALWAYS SUGGESTED THE USE OF FISHING LINE STRUNG ACROSS AN OPEN AREA BACK AND FORTH WITH IRRIDESCENT BIRD TAPE HANGING FROM IT. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE'S CIRCUMSTANCE BUT......HAD SOME FRIENDS THAT DID IT AND IT WORKED. THE HAWK DIDN'T LIKE IT CAUSE HE COULDN'T SEE THE LINE WHEN HE TRIED TO SWOOP IN BETWEEN THE BIRD TAPE--JUST A THOUGHT,,.........

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have lots of woods, shrubs ect..., and a huge picnic table, this area is where he got her. She was the second in a month , I guess you can't blame the hawk, they are only doing what comes natural and I don't really want to kill it, my son suggested the fishing line, so I will try that and a fake owl... Thanks everyone:)

Back
Top Bottom