hawks getting brazen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by seminolewind, Dec 18, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I was working on my chicken run this afternoon, and this hawk kept circling lower and lower, then made a few circles around my coop. I can't believe how bold they get! I made up my mind to finish the top of the enclosure before quitting for the day. The top is made of wire fence and shade material. I think he hears the 10 chicks on the enclosed patio, and sees the 4 pullets in the pen.

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Kinda like deer before and after hunting season. they have no fear of humans. Most of the ones alive today were not hatched before they were protected!

3. Downinmyback

Downinmyback Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2007
    West TN
    One morning my wife woke me up and was so excited that a hawk was trying to get one of her chickens. I hurry and got dressed and started toward the chicken pen and saw the hawk sitting on top of the netting that i had stretched across the top of the run.
    I had stretched the netting that we used to protect our cherry trees from being robbed when the cherries were ripe. As i got closer to the run the hawk flew off and i started laughing and told my wife that that hawk would have a tale to tell other hawks about the one who got away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by