Hawks in wooded areas...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jencleg, May 27, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    STUPID QUESTION ALERT!!! Are hawks as dangerous in a heavily wooded areas as they are in an open field setting? We live on the side of a mountian and I am trying to guess what our biggest threat is going to be... [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think its easier for them to snatch a meal in an open area than one where they'll have to navigate trees and bushes. That being said, don't trust that they wont get your birdies in the woods. They are some stealthy and determined critters. Good luck- everything likes chicken for dinner.

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    It really depends on if there's a lot of shrub-height ground cover or not. Tall trees like pines make great places for hawks to hide while planning a swoop.

I've got a big problem with tall trees around my property. The forest hawks like goshawks are very clever at winging through the trees without being seen, and then they divebomb without warning. I've lost big adult birds.

So I would say a forest helps some aerial predators like goshawks...

If you could plant a lot of low shrubs the chickens would have a much better chance.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yep... they sit on the trees and scope which hen they want to pick off.... i think its easier for them. It is here at my house anyways.. [​IMG]

5. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Sharp shinned hawks excel at wizzing through the trees, though an adult sized chicken would be a tough kill for a small hawk like that.

6. RJ3

RJ3 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Northern wi
    A relative of mine just had an issue with this earlier this week. She lives in a heavy woods and thought her chickies were safe from airborne creatures, until she stepped outside and saw a redtail hawk in her coop! Lesson learned, the put a wire roof on immediatly. [​IMG]

7. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

I live on the side of a heavliy wooded mtn and the hawks pick off my chickens every chance they get [​IMG]

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your threat is more owls that hawks in the woods. Both are gliders and prefer open areas where the can glide in to kill

9. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Small coopers hawks can get them Anywhere

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by