Hawks :( :( Need advice

Bird is the word

Songster
Sep 23, 2022
Bird world
I really want to free range my chickens but hawks * sigh my chicken coop is located right by a nature preserve and many hawks pass by and every now and then try to get a chance at my chickens today I let out my hens and went to get some hay for my sheep and a see a hawk land very close to my chicken coop and my chickens where out !! The only reason I knew it was there was because it was screaming. I ran over as fast as I could and put away my chickens I tried to scare it away but it wouldnt leave. Will I ever be able to free range my chickens and what can I do ?

I don't know if it's true or not, but I watched a video on YouTube where a man said that he solved his hawk problem by having black chickens. He said the hawk thinks the black chickens are crows and it deters them. Again, no idea if it's true or not. I have 2 black chickens myself, but tons of crows around. I've never seen a hawk around here, despite living in a prime environment for them.

Do you have any roosters? They are good for protecting and alerting your flock of danger, and maybe make a run, unless you already have one. Maybe make a Scarecrow or something there is many ways to avoid hawks, Goodluck to you and your hens! :fl
No I don't have a rooster and can't have one due to laws

I unfortunately don't have a dog because I am allergic to almost everything but birds
Bummer. There are some hypoallergenic breeds but I'm not sure how legitimately hypoallergenic they are. Even dogs that have hair instead of fur can sometimes not be great for allergies from what I understand. Worth looking into at any rate. My poodle mix has been good for my kid's allergies but thats just anecdotal lol

Really there's not a whole lot you can do about hawks.
A hawk attack happens in seconds. Even if you or dogs or whatever supposed deterrents are out there when one goes for a chicken, you just flat out don't have the time to react to prevent a casualty.

Back
Top Bottom