Hawks??

Large cities are near perfect hawk and falcon habitat. First there are tall buildings with roofs, ledges and other architectural structures that make perfect nesting and loafing places and there is usually a sufficiency of rats, squirrels, and flocks of birds like starlings, sparrows, and pigeons galore to feed the hawks. One reason people think that hawks are lacking in urban areas is that buildings limit a human's line of sight to the horizon but a hawk has none of these limitations because the hawk (let us say) has a birds' eye view.

Walmart and garden centers (in season) sell rolls of holographic foil(?) tape that is supposed to scare things away from a veggie garden. I wonder if people laced some from the branches on a hawk favorite tree, if that would keep them from waiting there.

Oh, I’m so sorry
Yeah, I think you’re right, it’ll remember! :he
Someone posted that they’d put a number of coloured streamers in their garden and that had helped. I’m going to give it a try if I see ‘my’ hawk again.
Last year BC (before chickens!) I found a feathered mess in the middle of the lawn......thinking back that’ll have been a dove. I have four pairs this year so I hope to stay hawk free.
I hope the 12 chicks stay safe. Good luck :thumbsup

Just mentioned this article to hubbie..........he saw a hawk yesterday!!!

Thank you. Unfortunately another one fell victim to a different predator. The mother hen likes to explore the yard, and she found a gap in my fence and went to the neighbors yard. It's an empty lot and all 12 chicks followed her over there. I tried calling her back, but of course she wouldn't budge because she was too busy scratching away. I went back to the hen house to work on the roof and then heard her scream. All I saw was her flying over the fence with her chicks running under the fence back to the yard and a stray dog running away with one of her chicks in its mouth. So now she only has 11. They just turned 2 months old.

Hello all, just joined this evening. Two of our chickens have fallen prey to hawks. The most recent was this afternoon. The first one happened about a month ago. The only thing it ate was her head. The evidence was it left a feather behind. This afternoon tragedy I caught the hawk during it’s meal. We let our chickens free range but no might have to rethink that or come up with better cover or deterrents.

Hello all, just joined this evening. Two of our chickens have fallen prey to hawks. The most recent was this afternoon. The first one happened about a month ago. The only thing it ate was her head. The evidence was it left a feather behind. This afternoon tragedy I caught the hawk during it’s meal. We let our chickens free range but no might have to rethink that or come up with better cover or deterrents.

Welcome to BYC.
Sorry that you’ve got this problem.
Yeah, I have one in the area :oops:
I want chicks this summer and my girls are free range :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom