Hawks!!!!

I don't know if this will work where you live as you have said you have some pretty big storms but I thought it worth a mention, we were having trouble with hawks we have a small farm on 8 acres with a pretty open area in the middle in back of the house this is where my girls free range. We started having issues with hawks so my husband had the idea of putting in large yard spinners these are about 5 ft tall. We placed them in various places around the yard they spin when the wind blows even just a bit and the sun hits the metal it provides a distraction for the hawks and they don't have a clear path to grab the chicken so far (knock on wood!) it has been wonderful in deterring them. I also kept one little silkie mix roo who has been fantastic at warning the girls, out of 6 roosters I ended up with out of my spring babies he is the only one that actually tries to protect the girls. So between him and the spinners we have been hawk free!!
Where did you get your spinners? I bought a spinner off Amazon and it rusted within a week - was a total waste. Thank you for the ideas! Hawk (migration) season is upon us so I’m gearing up!

Glad to meet you, Joyce. From my experience, pre-chicken, fake owls, fake foxes, fake eagles, even moving them around, will only work for so long, then hawks, and other predators figure it out. I don't know how long spinners or pie pans will work, but it's certainly worth a try. I know Janie Doe has mentioned that she runs a talk radio station PERIODICALLY while the birds are out, and checks on them frequently if she can't be there all the time.

Crows and ravens will chase hawks and owls, but I don't know if I would count on them to be the only line of defense. If the local flock of crows have all gone off to pick up day old bread at the local deli, they won't be there to chase the hawk. This does happen, and they also meet up in the winter at big roosts, leaving their otherwise year round homes.

I had also read the mention of using a black hen in the flock to make hawks think there is a crow on the ground. It's another thing that might work for a while, but probably not forever.

Roosters, even game roosters, heavy breeds or so called hawk killer roosters are no match for a hawk. It's not a fair match up, and the roosters that stay to fight are the ones that die quick. The ones who raise a quick alarm are the roosters that will last and be the most help to your flock.

Decide what level of risk you are willing to take with your girls. If you decide to free range, do give the chickens their best protections: Offer a run with STRONG netting that you inspect and replace (it only has a 10 year lifespan at the very best, but it does wear out with sun and weather) or a solid roof. Add tables, chairs, shrubs for your girls to hide under all around the free range space so they can quickly get to shelter in case of hawks.

Re: black chickens as a deterrent, I came on here looking for hawk advice as I have one stalking my flock. The one it actually attacked (injured, but doing ok) is black. So it may work in some situations, but it's definitely not a foolproof solution. Of course, it sounds like nothing is with these guys. It's even mostly stalking my boys, and I have some sizable boys.
I think I'm gonna try keeping mine in for a bit and see if it gets bored since it hasn't really had success yet. Hoping it doesn't see this place as a definite source of food yet.

Re: black chickens as a deterrent, I came on here looking for hawk advice as I have one stalking my flock. The one it actually attacked (injured, but doing ok) is black. So it may work in some situations, but it's definitely not a foolproof solution. Of course, it sounds like nothing is with these guys. It's even mostly stalking my boys, and I have some sizable boys.
I think I'm gonna try keeping mine in for a bit and see if it gets bored since it hasn't really had success yet. Hoping it doesn't see this place as a definite source of food yet.
Good luck with your injured chicken. I agree keep them in for a while, it will move on.

I’m in OR but also have hawks that think my ducks look pretty tasty!
We let them out to range when we are around to keep a eye on them (hawks are not our only predation threat, we also have raccoons, skunks, bobcats, cougar, coyotes, owls, and neighbor dogs to watch out for! So far we have only lost one, who managed to escape the yard, to a raccoon that we dispatched after it came INTO their yard to try to take a second hen 😶)
I have a fenced yard attached to their coop that is covered w “deer fencing” that I got at Home Depot. It’s a lightweight nylon mesh that (up here) is only available to order online but is also only about 30$ for a 7’ x 100’ roll.
We live at about 1400’, and it falls down w the heavy, wet snow in the winter, but I’ve been able to patch it up and get it back over their yard for several years of use.
I would imagine that you might also need to patch up or replace it w the wind in Florida but it’s a low cost measure that goes a long way to ensure peace of mind 💕

Where did you get your spinners? I bought a spinner off Amazon and it rusted within a week - was a total waste. Thank you for the ideas! Hawk (migration) season is upon us so I’m gearing up!
Sorry I have been off here for a bit I got them at Costco online! they are awesome tall and work well so far no signs of rust I also made the mistake of buying one of amazon and it isnt great!

Sorry I have been off here for a bit I got them at Costco online! they are awesome tall and work well so far no signs of rust I also made the mistake of buying one of amazon and it isnt great!

Also I just checked and they still have them available online I got the Leaf wind spinner the Zinnia wind spinner and the air blade wind spinner the air blade is my favorite! It really spins!

Back
Top Bottom