Hawks?

lol I use the same method to keep my hens INSIDE the run
smile.png

Strings may give red-tailed hawks hard time but having birds being full adult also very important. Until adulthood reached, other protective measures must compensate for more tempting targets that will not fight back.

I think ill go with the string idea, that's a great idea... Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I don't know if you have Sharp-Shin Hawks where you are from, but they are more nimble than a Red-tail. These hawks feed primarily on other birds. I had one chase one of my chickens just the other day while they were free ranging. The chicken just made it to the bush in time. They also have a smaller wing span than a red-tail, so take that into consideration when spacing the line.

I have never heard of a coopers hawk, just always been told these little hawks are sharp shins. My tetra tint is 19 weeks old and the hawk was the same size if not a litttle smaller than the chicken, but it was definately after her.

Quote:
Coopers hawk and sharp-shinned hawk look very much the same excepting size. A female sharp-shinned is almost as big as male Coopers. Females of both species much larger than males. I hawk nearly as large as adult chicken then most likely a female Coopers. In my experience female Coopers will go after lone adult chickens or larger chicks. Males will go after chicks to size of quail or pigeons. Both sexes will chase intended quarry pretty much anywhere, sometimes between your legs or into building. Coopers for me, even females, not a threat if adult chickens contain rooster or two in mix. My game roosters vicious when attacking grounded hawk from behind and hawks seem aware of threat roosters present.

Just wanted to add onto this thread for future readers. Yesterday a hawk attacked my hens twice. I was able to scare it off in time to save them luckily, but I knew we were going to have to do something to protect our flock. (Normally they just free range.) We worked all night to put them in a 20x80 pen and zig zaged fishing line across the top, going both ways so that there were only holes about 1.5x1.5 feet. I was sure that would keep the hawks out, but this morning one got through somehow and killed my most favorite chicken :( I'm now looking at getting deer netting to place over the top of the run because the fishing line wasn't worth a darn. This is the first time we've had trouble with hawks (or any predators for that matter) in our 2 years of keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom