Hawks :(

On average, this winter in the US has been more extreme/harsh than the last few decades, and a tough winter puts the pressure on all the critters trying to make it, including hawks. The thinner their natural prey, the more they will look to alternatives to survive. I wouldn't be surprised to see more desperate attempts on chickens this year by hawks.

Ugh - lost two silver-laced wyandottes to an enterprising hawk in the last three days. Feathers everywhere. We've lost hens before, usually about one every 18 months or so. This is the first killing spree we've had, and normally our hens free-range every day. I'm taking this approach:

1. Keep the hens in the coop (there's plenty of room) until Saturday morning
2. Saturday morning I go hawk-hunting with a wrist-rocket
3. Consider putting up a scarecrow ?

I'm wondering if this is a migrating hawk or a permanent resident? I live near Seattle.
Well, I don't live too far from you....(near Padilla Bay), I'd say its a resident. I think its still too early for the migration. We lost one of our ducks last year, and it was towards the end of May. We will have SWARMS of them at once when they are coming through. (like 20 circling the area at once) I paid even more attention after the kill. The swarms were around into the summer. Usually, there are a couple of pairs. My chickens are very freaked out by anything in the air. Even small planes.
sad.png

First time (barely) seeing one of my chickens being killed by a hawk after hearing weird noises from the back. Not sure how much strong winds matter to hawks, but I'd imagine it was still pretty desperate considering I only kept them in the temporary small fenced area with the couple of trees there also in the way as you can see from the following pictures. This is after I've lost a three hens on the big yard in the past year before this.

UfwdPaJ.jpg

M1R7g1t.jpg

Rooster was the only one other than the victim there. Not sure how much they had time to fight or whatever, but the big guy was still rather startled after the whole thing. Other four hens were inside when I arrived at the scene.

Things weren't this bad the last time we had chickens out there still about 5 years ago before the break we decided to have with chickens so these attacks are quite shocking. Will have to put an extra amount of effort when building the the bigger fenced area we're planning to build again there in the back.

After going through this thread I'm not feeling that confident in having them outside on the yard anymore even while observing them right there near them.

First time (barely) seeing one of my chickens being killed by a hawk after hearing weird noises from the back. Not sure how much strong winds matter to hawks, but I'd imagine it was still pretty desperate considering I only kept them in the temporary small fenced area after I've lost a three hens on the big yard in the past year before this.

UfwdPaJ.jpg

M1R7g1t.jpg

startled oooooo

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't give up! absolutely don't! there are thousands of ways to keep hawks away! try hanging CDs around your coop, buy a fake plastic dog and station it by your yard, build a run if you have to, but don't give up on your chickens.
smile.png
also, make sure it was a hawk that carried away your hen, it might have been a dog, or a more serious predator.

We had the same issue. Free ranged all of last year and had one hen "disappear" in the late fall. This winter has been horrible to let them out of the coop on nicer days. There has been three red tail hawks perched in the trees around our fields. We tried the hawk balloons but they were no use. We even had two bald eagles!

We plan on building a large run with netting. I plan on making it fairly large so they can still "free range".... We will let them out into the fields when we are in the yard.

A few days ago (on the last nicest day we've had so far this year), I had JUST put my turkey, and chickens into their coops. Actually, it was just after I put the LAST of my ducks into their outside "yard" (completely enclosed by chicken wire). While I was watching them, I saw them look UP - in that cute sideways "way" that they do. There was a bald eagle. It was low enough that I could see it very well. The girls were very quiet, and the drake carried on for a bit. It seemed like that eagle circled for 5 minutes, although it was probably only 90 seconds. I stood there, right next to my ladies, watching too. It flew off. How beautiful and glorious they can be. When they are NOT eating my pets.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom