Hawks :(

I will have to try the corn idea for crows. we just lost our second little one
sad.png

The crows do help and so do the smaller wild birds that are nesting now too.  They attack the hawks and also sound the alarm, which the chickens now know.  Today I went out to see what the commotion was about and my cockerel (not yet 4 mo old) Gus was sounding the alarm.  Big daddy Ernest wasn't quite sure what was happening so I went out in the field and a falcon took off, causing Ernest, Gus, and the wild birds to REALLY sound off.  The young chicks went racing into the henhouse!  Gus had been in a different spot from Ernest since big daddy has been giving him the beat-down lately, so it was nice having two sets of roo eyes looking out.  I am just about to put an ad up for Gus on Saturday but was glad he did his job in the meantime! (If anyone wants a vigilant Australorp cockerel in the OR/WA area, let me know!)

I went and looked at a 2 yr old EE roo tonight. I think I am going to adopt him. Then when my EE grows up I will have two pairs of eyes, and that would make me feel much better. So glad your boys did their job!

Good idea! I hope they get along well. Ernest is not a fan of his son. :) So Gus needs to find his own farm. I hope your EEs become pals. Seems to work best if you have a lot of hens. Good luck.

Good idea! I hope they get along well.  Ernest is not a fan of his son. :)  So Gus needs to find his own farm.  I hope your EEs become pals.  Seems to work best if you have a lot of hens. Good luck.

The cockerel is 12 weeks old along with 14 pullets the same age. And I have 6 hens. So when everyone is grown there will be 20 hens to split between the two of them. I hope that is enough!

WOW, that big guy's colors are incredible.  Such a beautiful golden color.  And then you'll have a WHITE one too, pretty cool!  I hope they sort things out quickly. :D

I truly think he is stunning! :D It will be neat to see their offspring. I hope they won't have too much trouble since the cockerel is only 12 weeks...Plus I think the big guy will only be worried about the 6 hens whereas the cockerel thinks he is king over all his little pullets lol

I have still found that when there is an attack on my flock, I don't let them out, unless they are secure. Putting them out after an attack, or even if the hawks are "out" is just way too tempting!! I know there are black birds that fly around, but I can't really tell if its a crow, or a raven. I think that the ravens are bigger? I have a friend who lives a mile from me (we are in the boonies), and she said that she's not letting her chickens out anymore for a long time. Ravens are eating her chickens. (and if its not them, its a hawk, or even coyotes) :( I want to say she's probably lost almost 10 chickens in the last year.

Back
Top Bottom