Hawks :(

In some states it IS legal to kill nuisance animals. I know here in Tennessee it is legal to kill the migratory geese that decided to stick around and caused enough monetary damage. You have to contact you local wildlife management agency first. They may say no anyways. I may ruffle some feathers with this comment, but what they don't know won't hurt them. "I feel" you should protect your property.

Recently my Lavendar Orpington Lucy was killed by a hawk, but it was strange how the hawk did so. My chickens were in their fully enclosed outdoor area, laying down and enjoying the sun next to the fencing when a hawk came down, reached in, and grabbed Lucy's head. The hawk then yanked it through the fence. My stepdad got out just in time to scare the hawk away before it got any more chickens, but it was to late for Lucy.

I have found many ways to keep my chickens even more safe. One good trick is to buy a fake owl and put it on a post to scare any hawks away. We also stay outside and watch them while we let them free range. Also, I have a dog that watches over the chickens. To prevent what happened to Lucy to happen to my other chickens, we added more layers of fencing.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I understand how hard it is to loose your chicken. :(
I had the same thing happen to my chicken. I'd let them out and occasionally check on them every so often, but that's a mistake. Trees, two barns, and wires help keep your chicken safe but when they are out you need to keep an eye on them at all times. Be extra close to your chickens while they are in the middle of the yard because it's easy for hawks to scoop them up there. Whenever you find a hawk in or close to you yard, run fast at it and scream as you are running towards the hawk. A great way to scare it away faster is holding a stick in your hand while chasing it. You are bigger than a hawk and stronger so it knows it doesn't stand a chance and it will go away immediately. I know this method sounds pretty weird and funny, but I haven't lost another chicken after that. Also,if you don't have the time to let them out and keep a close eye, you can have a trained dog do the job for you by roaming around and keeping the chickens safe. Make sure the dog is well trained because you wouldn't want your chickens being a chew-toy for the dog! I really hope this will help!
Good Luck!

It has been my experience that if hawks are not allowed to perch peaceably in or around your yard, they won't make a habit of it to start with. They seem to grow fond of certain perches. It's not difficult to make a particular perch uncomfortable.

I know there is always alot of controversy on BYC about raptors. I see alot of SSS comments and they do bother me. Raptors are protected because people hunted/poisoned them to detrimental levels.

I think the best way to explain it, that I've ever heard, was what if the Bald Eagle was killed until extinction? On of our national symbols would be gone because of our actions. What does that say about us? Just today I found a bald eagle in a tree, having a look at my flock. It freaked me out, I've only seen them in captivity or from a great distance. This one was huge and I hope it was just passing by. It flew off as soon as it saw me but I did go in to get a rifle. I have found that a great deterant against birds of prey is the sound of a well timed rifle shot. I shoot into the ground and have had hawks turn tail, mid flight.

I also have fishing line strung over my yards and, knock on wood, have not had a single loss to a raptor within those areas. I have "caught" some of my full flight muscovy ducks by a wing in the fishing line and found an owl that must have come by one night caught up. So, this does work.

I am all for protecting my birds. I have killed coons, possum, skunks. And if the neighbor's dogs come back, they too will be shot but there has to be a limit to what we do to protect them or we risk losing some magnificent animals. Just my opinion.

I know there is always alot of controversy on BYC about raptors. I see alot of SSS comments and they do bother me. Raptors are protected because people hunted/poisoned them to detrimental levels. I think the best way to explain it, that I've ever heard, was what if the Bald Eagle was killed until extinction? On of our national symbols would be gone because of our actions. What does that say about us? Just today I found a bald eagle in a tree, having a look at my flock. It freaked me out, I've only seen them in captivity or from a great distance. This one was huge and I hope it was just passing by. It flew off as soon as it saw me but I did go in to get a rifle. I have found that a great deterant against birds of prey is the sound of a well timed rifle shot. I shoot into the ground and have had hawks turn tail, mid flight. I also have fishing line strung over my yards and, knock on wood, have not had a single loss to a raptor within those areas. I have "caught" some of my full flight muscovy ducks by a wing in the fishing line and found an owl that must have come by one night caught up. So, this does work. I am all for protecting my birds. I have killed coons, possum, skunks. And if the neighbor's dogs come back, they too will be shot but there has to be a limit to what we do to protect them or we risk losing some magnificent animals. Just my opinion.
I love hawks personally however once they turn to chicken they never turn back. I wish there was a way to better keep them out.
fishing line without reflective tape could get you in trouble by the way so be careful.

The shotgun / riffle idea does work a covered run with heavy gauge netting works best. if you let them free range you are always taking a chance.
as far as shooting someones dog that is allowed in many areas but imo is way worse than if someone shot a hawk. people need to keep there dogs out of peoples yards but that is part of someones family. Hawks are protected because they dont want you mis id'ing a Perigine falcon , eagle or osprey for a coopers or redtail hawk. Just my opinion.
Best bet is if you have a problem contact your department of fish and game ask them your rights.
see what happens. I think it is possible to get a permit to harass them back

I love hawks personally however once they turn to chicken they never turn back. I wish there was a way to better keep them out.
fishing line without reflective tape could get you in trouble by the way so be careful.

The shotgun / riffle idea does work a covered run with heavy gauge netting works best. if you let them free range you are always taking a chance.
as far as shooting someones dog that is allowed in many areas but imo is way worse than if someone shot a hawk. people need to keep there dogs out of peoples yards but that is part of someones family. Hawks are protected because they dont want you mis id'ing a Perigine falcon , eagle or osprey for a coopers or redtail hawk. Just my opinion.
Best bet is if you have a problem contact your department of fish and game ask them your rights.
see what happens. I think it is possible to get a permit to harass them back

I have a very particular thought when it comes to anything, dog, cat, bird, snake, coon, etc, coming after my flock. The first time I catch them, I shoot towards them with snake shot in my .22 pistol. Usually that will keep most everything turned away. However, if they come back a second time, I don't use snake shot. Enough said. So far, nothing has come back for seconds.

We lost three hens to predators this year - all were around 4 months old. We're still trying to come up with a better plan to chase off the hawks.

I lost my little white silkie to a hawk about 2-3 weeks ago. Then last week my bf was outside and said he saw a hawk fly down with it's talons out trying to snatch up my favorite one, my baby RIR! We have a owl with a rotating head in our yard, so obviously that is not working. It seems the attacks also take place in the middle of the day. Now I am looking into getting a scarecrow and reflective tape. I live in a residential area, so shooting them is out of the question. I am interested in the netting a lot of you speak of, but, my bf objects as he is not an animal lover like I am and just accepts that some are going to die and is okay with that. I am not, so the chickens have created some tension between us. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom