Hawks :(

Strange... How come its ok to kill a cougar if its threatening your livestock but not a hawk waiting for the chicken Buffett to open?
It is because of the Migratory Bird treaty act of 1918. In order to protect these birds, the governments of Canada and the US determined that they needed a treaty since the birds migrate across both countries. Therefore, no killing birds on the list, or at least don't get caught.

We have Whistling Kites here (amongst others) and they appear often, so far we have been lucky. I have two Roosters who are very aware and when they notice one they let the girls know and they all run for cover. I have no netting on my free range area. I know one day it will happen but three years so far and like I said we've been lucky. Sorry for all those who have lost a hen.

the only time I free range is if my husband and I are with them.Yes I do feel guilty for keeping them penned.That is the reason we have builted multiple large runs.just the other day we were out with them and we were keeping our eyes on the sky,as we had a hawk fly over my head just the week before.I turn and open up the run door.my husband was five feet away and a hawk came out of nowhere and swooped down.he was maybe three feet off the ground and it was with in two feet of me.he has gotten very bold and not afraid of us.With us two standing with just a few feet away from our 10 girls.he came to close for comfort.

the only time I free range is if my husband and I are with them.Yes I do feel guilty for keeping them penned.That is the reason we have builted multiple large runs.just the other day we were out with them and we were keeping our eyes on the sky,as we had a hawk fly over my head just the week before.I turn and open up the run door.my husband was five feet away and a hawk came out of nowhere and swooped down.he was maybe three feet off the ground and it was with in two feet of me.he has gotten very bold and not afraid of us.With us two standing with just a few feet away from our 10 girls.he came to close for comfort.
Do you live in town or in a neighborhood?

Back
Top Bottom