Hawks :(

Sorry for everyone's losses...I had been letting my girls free range in my small backyard almost all summer for most of the day while I was at home. We have always had hawks hanging around and I usually have a warning when I hear the crows...generally the girls run into their covered run when they hear the crows. I stopped free ranging "freely" about a month or so ago when a hawk was sitting in the tree less than 3 ft from the run. It was morning around 7:30 am, I was able to walk up to the hawk and got about 5 ft away from it before it flew off. The girls were freaked out and I decided I didn't want any losses from the hawk. It seems this time of year there are more hawks...migration maybe? So now they are only let out for about an hour or so each day when someone can be out with them at all times. They are not happy but I am, well not really cause I know how they like to be out and about but I rather be safe than sorry. Dang hawks!

just a touch it was able to get it loose and come in under where we had attached the netting to the wood support. It then flew out by flying right at the net and raising it just enough to get free.

Ugh- that means my aviary netting probably isn't deterring the hawks at all! You would think they'd be afraid of getting trapped since you had it attached all around- but I guess if they're hungry enough they'll risk it.

If you have a big place these work well for all kinds of trespassers i use a 4 foot piece of 1 inch PVC as a launcher and i am very accurate with placement of my shot
big_smile.png

Thanks so much everybody for your kind words and advice- you've helped me out a lot! And so sorry for all of you who've been in the same boat as me- it's just so sad and frustrating.

I have had the same problem with hawks killing my girls. My roo is a great protector but there is only so much he can do. I have added a new addition to the family, a great pyrenees. I had problems with coyote, neighbors dogs, raccoon, possum, fox and pretty much anything else you can think of. I have not lost one chicken at all since I have gotten my pyrenees. They are great livestock guardians. If anything so much as touches a boundry line on my 40 acres, I know it. Nothing gets by this guy. He walks the perimeters all night long, checking on the horses also. They are big dogs and a handful at times but he is great! Now I don't worry at all. If you have alot of property, love dogs and want protection for your flock and your family, I highly recommend a great pyrenees.

I have had the same problem with hawks killing my girls. My roo is a great protector but there is only so much he can do. I have added a new addition to the family, a great pyrenees. I had problems with coyote, neighbors dogs, raccoon, possum, fox and pretty much anything else you can think of. I have not lost one chicken at all since I have gotten my pyrenees. They are great livestock guardians. If anything so much as touches a boundry line on my 40 acres, I know it. Nothing gets by this guy. He walks the perimeters all night long, checking on the horses also. They are big dogs and a handful at times but he is great! Now I don't worry at all. If you have alot of property, love dogs and want protection for your flock and your family, I highly recommend a great pyrenees.

If only my husband loved dogs.

Ugh- that means my aviary netting probably isn't deterring the hawks at all! You would think they'd be afraid of getting trapped since you had it attached all around- but I guess if they're hungry enough they'll risk it.

I would think that your netting is better. the deer netting we got is super thin and plastic making it extremely lightweight. I guess I need to look into this Aviary netting. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours?

So sorry everyone.!

I know my time will come. SO far holding our own with my LSGD and I spent a small FORTUNE on welded wire when we built our run. So far the crows have been warning the chickens, and boy do those crows hate those hawks. I see them sparring and chasing all the time. My LSGD HATES the crows, so something is always getting run off.

THis morning I put out some scratch for the chickens, and the crows were starting to get in on the action, and Jackson wouldn't have any part of it. So neat to see a dog at work,, running in and out of the chickens, looking up at the sky.

Now I know MR. Fox is out there watching it all, just waiting for the right time to strike....

HATE THEM! Can't ya just go get some chimpmunks or wild bunnies??

Grrrrrrr....

MB

If you have a big place these work well for all kinds of trespassers i use a 4 foot piece of 1 inch PVC as a launcher and i am very accurate with placement of my shot
big_smile.png

Zazouse,

How exactly does that work, and what are they?

Back
Top Bottom